Kodak DX4900 and repair

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 10, 2005 10:35:57 PM

I have a Kodak DX4900. The LCD shows the menu, but does not work to frame
a picture. If I take a picture using the viewfinder, it comes out as a
black rectangle. I have seen a number of posts in other forums that
reflect this problem, and even "broken" cameras on EBAY with this problem,
but no one has stated the cause or if they ended up having it fixed. I am
curious if anyone in this forum has experienced this and if so, what the
problem was, did they get it fixed and the cost. I am not sure it is worth
throwing money at this camera and have to make a decision on whether to
junk it or not. thank you

More about : kodak dx4900 repair

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:56:27 PM

Mel Otero via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> I have a Kodak DX4900. The LCD shows the menu, but does not work to frame
> a picture. If I take a picture using the viewfinder, it comes out as a
> black rectangle. I have seen a number of posts in other forums that
> reflect this problem, and even "broken" cameras on EBAY with this problem,
> but no one has stated the cause or if they ended up having it fixed. I am
> curious if anyone in this forum has experienced this and if so, what the
> problem was, did they get it fixed and the cost. I am not sure it is worth
> throwing money at this camera and have to make a decision on whether to
> junk it or not. thank you

Look into Kodak's exchange program. I don't know if it's available for
that model, or how much it costs, but it's an option. Also visit the
Kodak section of DPReview.

One of Kodak's reps, Ron Baird, used to be a regular here. Maybe he
still is, & can answer your questions.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:09:15 PM

Greetings Mel,

I am still here, Rob, and glad to help.

The scenario you have reviewed indicates something I am not familiar with on
that camera. If you have a couple of images with the condition shown, I will
be glad to review and analyze for you. I will get back to you with the
results. If this is a consisitent condition, it may need to be serviced to
remedy it. In that case, it would be worth thinking about taking advantage
of the $50 tradein offer. Gives you $50 for your camera regardless of
condition. You can trade up to a DX7440. You can get a printer dock at a low
price as well.

Regardless, send along your images and I will take a look.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!