Same temperatures after switching to a better case/hyper 212+?

kandon

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Well I recently bought a new CPU cooler (hyper 212+) for my processor because my old stock fan made SO much noise...and at the same time I bought a new case (Cooler Master Storm Scout) for the hell of it. Both of these are supposed to cool it better, but I don't really see it..

Before my idle temp was around 33..now it's at like 30, and if I literally don't have anything open for a few mins, it can go to 27-28, but when I played this game called GunZ, before my temps would be at like 44-45, now it's the same or even HIGHER, after switching from a stock cooler to a Hyper 212+, I expected more.. Yes it's very quiet now though.

Could it be because I put a little too much thermal paste? Or is it maybe because the stock fan made so much noise, which meant it was spinning very hard, and that's why it had close to the same temps? When I put the thermal paste on, a little went over the edges, but I cleaned most of it up with a Q-tip.

What is wrongggggg???????

kandon

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Under load? But it's only like 30% cpu usage or something. :(

EDIT: It just went up to 51c on just running GunZ.......wtf is this....my friends say theirs never goes like above 40c...and they don't even have a hyper 212+.....this is saddening...

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Try reseating the hyper 212 and/or use a different thermal paste technique. As well check you fan settings in the bios or use speedfan. Your 212 fan may not be spinning at 100% like the stock fan was.

However 51 degrees in Gunz is not a horrid temperature. Consider ambient temperatures when looking at the readings as well.

kandon

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

It just went up to a high of 54c on gunz...seriously it shouldn't be this high with a 212+ and this case..

If it keeps doing this I'm gonna re-seat it...I hate removing cpu fans..

Anyone else can think of something?

Also, how do I check at what % its spinning at? And what is it supposed to be spinning at?

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
like chris said you have to take into account your ambient temps. Today was a hot ass day where I live 95 degrees. Pushed my ambient 7 degrees or so my normal idle temp. In any case, once again like chris said you most likely have to reseat your heatsink and try a different method for applying paste. Speedfan also should have a form of display of fan speed.

kandon

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

For some reason speedfan is showing 0 RPM or fan speed for every fan except GPU I think..I have an AMD processor if that matters..

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
try hardware monitor instead? wont let you adjust fan speeds but at least you can check if the mobo has the necessary sensors...

some older procs/mobos aren't supported by speedfan. I know the older P4s aren't.

Uther39

Distinguished

Take the cooler off, clean both cooler and CPU with a good tim cleaner, then apply about a grain of rice amount of Arctic Cooling MX4 paste to your cpu, spread it out evenly across the cpu with a clean finger tip, re-seat the cooler tightening the fixing points at equal amounts diagonally until the cooler no longer moves. plug the coolers fan into the 4 pin cpu fan mobo header, turn computer on and visually check that the fan is rotating ( also ensure that the cooler is mounted so as it is pushing the air through the cooler fins and out of the rear of your case). Download and run HW monitor to see your temps and fan speeds, be aware of ambient temps.

kandon

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

I have a Phenom II x4 970 BE..it's not old..

I'm using HW monitor..but I didn't know it could check fan speeds? Where do you find that? I can't seem to.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Under the motherboard's field there will be "fans" header, the CPU fan should be listed there.
At least it's there on mine, but i have an Intel system so idk if it's listed somewhere else for you.

If you can't find it, there's a chance your mobo doesn't support hardware monitoring. I mean, you can read temps, but maybe it lacks fan control??? Check your BIOS if it has fan monitoring (should be under hardware monitoring).

chris2341

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
seems as if everyone has come to the same conclusion that checking it with Hw monitor, try to up the rpm with speed fan if possible, and reseat the heatsink or tighten the screws evenly.

If the problem consists let us know some more details and we will try to help you out.