Need memory advice for Ivy Bridge build

augerpro

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I'll be building an Ivy Bridge rig soon and was wondering what speed memory would be advisable for a 4.2-4.5 Ghz overclock. I haven't oc'ed much since my AMD64 Opty so I'm not sure what speed would be required for the typical ratios I'll have to run for the stated overclock.

Solution
Since with SB and IB (LGA1155) you can only really OC through the multiplier, selecting memory based on OC ability alone is basically pointless. IB has native 1600 RAM support though, so you can start from there and go up if you wish, just for faster RAM speeds.
Since with SB and IB (LGA1155) you can only really OC through the multiplier, selecting memory based on OC ability alone is basically pointless. IB has native 1600 RAM support though, so you can start from there and go up if you wish, just for faster RAM speeds.

Solution

Yeah, it's because FSB on SB and IB (the LGA1155 version, like I said because SB-E LGA2011 is different) is linked with PCIe/PCI and SATA and can't be unlinked, so overclocking the FSB overclocks everything, which is bad, lol. You CAN go up to 105-108 MHz on the FSB, but any more than that causes data corruption and instability. So yeah, it's pretty easy with SB/IB, just multi and voltage to think about, now.

And gary is right, there's less of a performance increase than you would think as you go up in RAM speeds.