Installing Plextor on new sys

G

I'm stuck. I'm building a new system and just got it to boot. I've got the HD's all partitioned/formatted, etc. and now I'm ready to install the O/S.

Upon boot up the BIOS recognizes there is a (Plextor) CD-ROM, but I can't access the drive. I've created a autoexec.bat that calls mscdex but with no drivers to point to it doesn't work. There are no drivers on the Plextor/Adaptec CD that came with the drive and the installation instructions assume you're already running under an O/S.

So now I'm stuck.. anyone have any suggestions?

G

I just installed Win 98SE with my Plextor 12X10X32A last week. Following an f-disk and a format, I put in my Windows startup floppy disk and rebooted. Then you should get the DOS prompt to start with CD-ROM support. When you choose to do so, the Oak Technologies (i think that's what they're called) generic drivers should load and your CDRom should then be able to load windows from CD after you type D:/setup (or whatever drive letter it is recognizing your plexiwriter as).

If this is not happening, check all of your connections (obviously), and make sure that you have your CDrom on it's own IDE channel, not being on the same one as the hard drive.

Good luck, and I hope this helped.

MB

G

Do you know what chipset is on your motherboard? See the post titled CD writer/VIA chipset combination. It sounds like the same problem I'm having.

G

Na... not a system problem. It was just a case of Plextor not providing any 'generic' CDROM drivers to be able to install in a 'virgin' system. So I just ended up using some old creative CDROM drivers to give it a drive letter.