MOBO into CASE questions?

Hello, I have my MOBO attatched to the case etc but I have a few questions:

CASE - CORASIR 400R
MOBO - ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 4

The mobo has a slot that says USB 3.0 header, I assumed I plug the USB wire into there as the case has USB 3.0 but I still have the USB 3.0 to 2.0 adapter, will I not need this?

on the SATA connectors it has a sticker on top of three of the slots saying "For better performance and short boot up time we suggest you connect the HDD on SATA port 0-5 as boot device" which port is this as the manual says the two SATA3 GRAY ones are named SATA3_A0_A1 GRAY and SATA3_0_1 GRAY, the other two are SATA 2 and black so assume i dont use them. So which sata port do I connect the HDD to?
5 answers Last reply
More about mobo case questions
  1. Some older motherboards do not have an internal usb3.0 header.
    The adapter is to be able to attach your usb3.0 front panel ports to a usb 2.0 header if necessary.

A HDD can be attached to any port without any performance impact.
    Ports 0-5 come from the Z77 chip and should be used for the boot device. Use any one of them.
    The grey ports are sata 3 which is faster, and should be used if you have a ssd for the os(which I highly recommend)

The motherboard has added sata 6gb ports which will be supported by probably a separate Marvell chip.
    If you do not need them, you can deactivate them in the bios and save a bit of power on initialization time.
  2. OK, so would it be best for me to put the HDD and the optical drive in the SATA3_0_1 connector which is also a grey port, I do not have an SSD?
  3. am I also right in saying I connect the rear case fan to the connector on the mobo named chassis fan connector 2 (CHA_FAN2) as the chassis fan connector 1 is 4 pin not 3?
  4. +1 to what geofelt mentioned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea_bs5G1yYUThis might help with your overall build
  5. kevin07 said:
    am I also right in saying I connect the rear case fan to the connector on the mobo named chassis fan connector 2 (CHA_FAN2) as the chassis fan connector 1 is 4 pin not 3?

there are 2 types of 4 pin connectors.
    The psu will have largish 4 pin connectors. Usually black or white in color.
    If it matches your rear fan connector, then plug it in there.

The other type is a smaller PWM connector, always white, that can adjust fan speeds with pulse width modulation. It is usually used with the stock Intel cpu cooler.
    If your fan connector is a 4 pin pwm type connector, you can use that. Or, more likely, it is a 3 pin connector which can still be used to plug into the motherboard 4 pin pwm connector.

Sometimes, fans come with both 4 pin molex and a three pin connector. You could then use either.

One advantage of the smaller 3 and 4 pin connectors is that they have speed sensing capabilities.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards SATA Cases USB3