Gaming Rig. Is all my hardware compatible?

Str3lok

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster here!

Long story short I am looking to build a robust gaming PC very soon that can max out games like Skyrim and BF3 and still be a worthy contender for the next couple of years or so. I just want to know if the hardware I have picked out is all compatible because I would hate to spend the money only to have a pile of incompatible parts. I have a budget of around $2000-$2.5k.

Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower
PSU: CORSAIR 850 W
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 (With Corsair H80)
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (With G.SKILL FTB-3500C5-D Fans for extra cooling.)
SSD: Intel 510 Series 2.5" 120GB SATA III
GPU: Radeon HD 7970 3GB

I don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or HDD (for videos, music and other random media) because I will be cannibalizing those from my old rig. I am considering using my old Sharp aquos 40" as primary monitor and my old regular dell monitor as a secondary so I can have web pages up and running while I game. I am in the USA and prefer to use newegg. Apparently the mobo and GPU is very OC friendly and I am considering doing it.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Updated case, GPU and PSU selections/links

Cripple13

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I wouldn't get the antec 1200, my friend has 2 of them (owned for 2+ years) and he regrets buying them. There are plenty of other cases out there that can contend with the size of the 1200. Take a loof at the coolermaster haf x and the NZXT phnatom series. I recently built a new rig in the nzxt phantom (white) and I loved every aspect of it from cable management to the drive tray mountings.

If you plan on ocing I would pick up an aftermarket HSF as well.

Str3lok

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Thanks for the advice, I will check them out. Any particular reason he didn't like it, or was it just a matter of getting more bang from your buck elsewhere? Cable management has been an issue for me in the past, how is that NZXT in that aspect?

Cripple13

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
The case is too tall and not deep (or wide, i don't know how they note the dimensions). The edge of his mobo is right against the back of the rom drives, leaving no room inbetween. He hates the cable management (although he isn't very good at it anyway) and the cables for the front i/o on the case run from the top but aren't too long, so if your pins on the mobo aren't in a good spot, you have to run those cables over everything, you can't hid them.

As for the nzxt, i love it in every aspect. There is a good 1.5-2inches in the back for cable management. The material is very solid (metal except for the part that kicks out in the front for the asthetic look), installing the rom drives was as simple as unlocking a bracket, sliding the drive in (lining up the whole with the bracket) and locking it back in place. Amazing air flow, great performance fans (occasionally a bit loud, but not noticable unless you are looking for it) and a built in fan controller right on the top of the case. I honestly couldn't be happier, I wasn't going to spring for a new case (I had the antec 900, which was nice but now I see how bad it is) and my friend talked me into it. Our deal was one would get the haf-x, the other would get the nzxt. Both of us are extremely sastified

Str3lok

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Yeah I have the Antec 900 right now and as good as I thought it was when I got it, it really does leave alot to be desired. Thanks for the info!

g-unit1111

Titan

I'll second the recommendation of the Phantom - it's a really excellent case for the price. It's big, roomy, and has lots of cable management features.

You don't need a 1200W PSU - that's major amounts of overkill. 850 is probably the best - go for the Corsair AX850 or the Seasonic X850 Gold.

I have the Intel 320 - it's a pretty good SSD, the 510 is probably no different but you should check out the Crucial M4 or the Mushkin Chronos series.

And if you're going to be paying the money for the 6990, wait and get the 7970 when it's available.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102961

Cripple13

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I also purchased a crucial m4 for my new rig, I spent about 3 hours looking at the differences around the web, as well as browsing these forums for the best advice.

It came down to the crucial m4 or the vertex 3- and the only complaints against the m4 were that it wasn't as fast. After reading I found out the latest firmware (revision 9) actually gave it a performance boost to almost match the vertex 3 so I went with it.

One of the major problems with ssd's are the sandforce controller. Intel and Crucial do not use that one, and almost all other manufacturer's do. The controller was known to be very unstable and cause random system crashes as well as data loss, I am unaware if they completely fixed the issue but that was a major turn off for me.

Str3lok

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into them a bit and have updated my wishlist. I think I'll pull the trigger on this build as soon as the 7970 becomes available unless anybody notices any issues with my selections thus far. Thanks to you guys I managed to cut a few hundred bucks out and I'm actually under budget with better choices. :sol: