Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I'm about to call GeekSquad!

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2012 9:49:28 PM

Hey guys,

So I thought I would build a computer, but I'm starting to realize that I'm in over my head here. Here's a list of the parts I'm using:

Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67
CPU: I 2500
GPU: Radeon 6970 2 gb
PSU: COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W
SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s
Optic: ASUS DRW
RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Everything is together and the pc boots on but the problem is it won't detect my HDD no matter what slot I put it in. I haven't tried the Marvell slots because I heard those are for something else and it's such a pain to take the giant GPU in and out every time to get at the SATA ports. I have got it to detect the ASUS DRW and the SDD in different ports (although the SDD isn't detected in all the ports), but the HDD just will not come up. I've been researching the difference between IDE and AHCI does that have anything to do with it? It's on IDE right now. Anyway, I'm thinking about just paying somebody to put it together the rest of the way if anybody has any ideas I'll give em a shot first. Thanks for any help! -James

PS: I forgot to mention that even when it does detect the ASUS DRW it will not open. The green light turns on like it's doing something and then after a while times out and turns off...?

More about : call geeksquad

January 9, 2012 10:12:03 PM

You'll want to get into bios and go with AHCI for starters. No offense intended but do you have both the sata and the power cable hooked up to the hard drive. Secondarily you might want to check if both the power and sata cables are good. Did you breadboard to test or put everything in the case? You're close to getting it going - if it recognizes the ssd you can load your os and then do further troubleshooting.

good luck.
m
l
January 9, 2012 10:20:35 PM

do not call geeksquad, you'll end up with a $300 bill for almost nothing. One of my dad's employees was taken advantage of terribly, they billed her $642 for "virus removal"..heres the kicker, they never took the virus off, and they loaded it up with useless bloatware and toolbars.

if money is no option then *** it, take it to best buy...lmao

edit: (just saying - be patient, i gaurentee one of these toms guy can help you with your problem, good luck)
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2012 10:33:36 PM

medmn said:
You'll want to get into bios and go with AHCI for starters. No offense intended but do you have both the sata and the power cable hooked up to the hard drive. Secondarily you might want to check if both the power and sata cables are good. Did you breadboard to test or put everything in the case? You're close to getting it going - if it recognizes the ssd you can load your os and then do further troubleshooting.

good luck.

:] No offense taken, yes I do have the power and the sata plugged into the HDD. I tried replacing the sata with another cable -- no change. I did not breadboard because I didnt even know what that was yesterday. :]
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2012 12:53:19 AM

Few things:

A. Could be bad SATA ports and you'll have to RMA the MB
B. The HDD is dead on arrival and will have to be RMA's
C. Something else is going on and its neither of the first two

Do you have another computer, or have a friend/family member who will let you plug your HDD into their computer? If the HDD still isn't recognized in the BIOS, then its a bad HDD and RMA that sucker.

If it does recognize the HDD, then we go to step two.

Steal their HDD and plug it into your MB. If the MB doesn't see it, then RMA the MB. If it does, then it is definitely something else at play.

Also check to see if there are any BIOS updates for the motherboard, and upgrade it if there is.
m
l

Best solution

January 10, 2012 2:37:17 PM

Do NOT waste your moneyu with Geek Squad, friend of mine (his dad's old army buddy) had a PC, could not wait for us. called GeekSquad , they told him he had to buy a new PC from them , wound up costing him around $3000 ..heres the kicker, Only thing wrong with it (he had 2 dvd/cd units ) was someone had put the Master/Slave/CS jumper to the same one as the Master so he had 2 masters on same cable, made the Drive come in the POST as crazy jibberish lettering, made it look like it was bad.. Geek Squad was either A) totally incompetent or B) they intentionally sabotaged it, to talk him into buying new PC ...
Toms can get your PC up and Running
1) yeah AHCI in the BIOS
2) the Asus DRW ..its normal for the green light to come on at first then turn off , as for not opening the tray ..sometimes theres a lil delay between pressingthe button and the tray opening, or sometimes the button is kind of soft and/or the angle of touching it doesnt register a click, next time you power up , wait for the green light to go off, then hit the open tray button once, (firmly but gently) and give it a 10 count,
3) I have the same MB, 1st Gen .. and the instructions for the SATA Ports are terrible ..you have the Blue and the White ports .. and the ports 0-4 etc are basically numbered spiraling outfrom center (I know it its awfully confusing) but try using different ports on th MB ..plug the HD into the Blue Ports BUT, if you're facing the MB installed in the case , DONT use the first one on the bottom, use the port on top closest to the white ports, then start using the white ports in a normal left to right top to bottom number count ..and I know its a pain to take the Video Card in and out each time, but that' what worked for me
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2012 2:54:08 PM

You keep saying "it won't detect my hd". WHAT won't detect your hd?

Bios? Device Manager? My computer?

Did you initialize your new hd in disk management to assign it a drive letter?
m
l
January 12, 2012 1:30:57 AM

Best answer selected by joeey89.
m
l
January 12, 2012 1:31:44 AM

found out the HDD was toast. Explains why the SDD showed up fine.
m
l
!