New 32 in LCD TV - Probs due to Low Video Mem?

Leprechaun07

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Upgrading display space with 32 inch 1080p LCD TV. Driving from i7 Quad 870. Had two 19 inch displays, but tired of "box cars", so trying a new LCD TV. I do video and audio editing at studio, so need good resolution. Hooked up with HDMI at 19xx X 1080 - fuzzy text, details. Sales tech says my video card too low on memory - need at least 2G. Now have only 1G. Will new video card with 2G solve the problem??

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
"you need more VRAM" is bullsh*t.

1G is more than enough.
sales tech is wrong. COMPLETELY.

fuzzy text and details could mean that the LCD tv is not using the native resolution.
did you check whats the resolution of your desktop?

No, the error is in thinking that a bigger monitor means more detail. You are seeing the same thing you would see if you got up close to one of your 19" monitors.

1920x1080 = 2.07 million pixels

2x1366x768 = 2.66 million pixels

So you lost pixels in the deal, so less detail.

Hello... The main difference between Computer monitors and TV LCD's is the "Pixel Pitch" the measured distance between each display dot. That will determine how text will look up close. Typical good monitor will be below 0.27mm... TV LCD's are not any where near this, 0.50mm to 1.0mm... and made to be viewed from a distance.

Also i have found that, when a TV is used, you must try different inputs and/or display settings, to get the best from your Video card... MFg'r will calibrate inputs differently for a varied amount of equipment sold for connections.