Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this too hot?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 22, 2012 2:01:06 AM

Hello,

I have a newly built HP Phoenix with the i7 2600 processor, the Nvidia 550 Ti graphics card, and 12 gbs of memory. I use a program called Core Temp to monitor the status of my cores and was wondering:
I play Left 4 Dead 2 on my PC and the MAX temp of all 4 cores while playing Left 4 Dead 2 sits between 50 and 54 degrees Celsius. I'm not sure what it rides at while I'm playing but is that too hot? Nothing is over clocked or anything, I'm not sure how to do that so..It usually idles while surfing the net at between 30-37 degrees Celsius. When nothing is going on it idles between 29-32 degrees Celsius. Please help, thank you! ;3

More about : hot

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 2:13:38 AM

No. 50 - 54 C is not too hot for an i7. Sustained temps of 70 C are on the upper edge of acceptable.

Intel tech docs say i7 Tcase limit is 72 C.
April 22, 2012 2:24:20 AM

Holy crap, so it's ok? I mean I feel my case and it isn't hot at all, even during hardcore game play. I can't find just a CPU temp monitor, it always gives me the cores. Isn't there a median number for the entire CPU and one for a GPU? Sustained temps of 70 degrees Celsius? Seriously? Wow...
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 2:49:48 AM

blznhot18 said:
Holy crap, so it's ok? I mean I feel my case and it isn't hot at all, even during hardcore game play. I can't find just a CPU temp monitor, it always gives me the cores. Isn't there a median number for the entire CPU and one for a GPU? Sustained temps of 70 degrees Celsius? Seriously? Wow...

For your software question, go with HWMonitor. It'll give you a lot of info, but Package Temp is what you're looking for I think. And as far as max temp goes, 72.6 is TCase, but 98 is Tjmax, which is around where it would throttle. Before I got my Hyper-212 Evo, when I was using the stock Intel HSF, I tried to see how far I could go OC'ing my 2500K with it and got my temps up to 85-90 and it never throttled. DON'T ever do that though, LOL. That was just an experiment...
m
l
April 22, 2012 2:55:46 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
For your software question, go with HWMonitor. It'll give you a lot of info, but Package Temp is what you're looking for I think. And as far as max temp goes, 72.6 is TCase, but 98 is Tjmax, which is around where it would throttle. Before I got my Hyper-212 Evo, when I was using the stock Intel HSF, I tried to see how far I could go OC'ing my 2500K with it and got my temps up to 85-90 and it never throttled. DON'T ever do that though, LOL. That was just an experiment...

I downloaded Speed Fan and I see where the GPU is but not CPU which is what I'm looking for mainly. There's GPU, local, temp 1, temp 2, HD, and the 4 cores. Which one is the CPU?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 3:01:34 AM

blznhot18 said:
I downloaded Speed Fan and I see where the GPU is but not CPU which is what I'm looking for mainly. There's GPU, local, temp 1, temp 2, HD, and the 4 cores. Which one is the CPU?

Just download CPUID HWMonitor. SpeedFan gives me crazy temps personally (ie. 70C CPU temp at idle, when it's really 34C, lol). That may just be my mobo and the fact that it's not detecting sensors correctly, but whatever, HWMonitor doesn't have that problem.

Edit: It DOES at least show me a CPU temp though, just very, VERY wrong...
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:05:12 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Just download CPUID HWMonitor. SpeedFan gives me crazy temps personally (ie. 70C CPU temp at idle, when it's really 34C, lol). That may just be my mobo and the fact that it's not detecting sensors correctly, but whatever, HWMonitor doesn't have that problem.

Ok, downloaded, where is the CPU temp located?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 3:06:44 AM

blznhot18 said:
Ok, downloaded, where is the CPU temp located?

Look for "Package".
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:08:32 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Look for "Package".

Okidokie, and I'm assuming I look at the first line "Value".
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 3:09:16 AM

blznhot18 said:
Okidokie, and I'm assuming I look at the first line "Value".

Yep.
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:09:56 AM

Ok, thank you very much! ;3
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:10:43 AM

Best answer selected by blznhot18.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 3:13:06 AM

There will actually be two temps given for the CPU. The one up top will be the overall temp of the CPU. You'll also see a section in the middle of the screen that wil say core 0,1,2,3 that is the temperature of each individual core.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 3:16:36 AM

Anonymous_26 said:
There will actually be two temps given for the CPU. The one up top will be the overall temp of the CPU. You'll also see a section in the middle of the screen that wil say core 0,1,2,3 that is the temperature of each individual core.

That's true obviously, but he didn't want to see the core temps, since he could see those with other programs (Core Temp or the like, I'm guessing), he just wanted the overall CPU temp, so that's why I pointed him towards Package temp.
m
l
April 22, 2012 6:49:24 PM

Anonymous_26 said:

In the HW Monitor, I have 3 temps, the fans, the 4 cores, and the GPU. Where is the CPU? Is it the the section that says Temperature? There are three of them, which one is related to the CPU?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 7:18:51 PM

Under "Temperatures", it's TMPIN3 for me, but under the actual processor temps, it's "Package" like I said before.
m
l
April 22, 2012 7:28:38 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Under "Temperatures", it's TMPIN3 for me, but under the actual processor temps, it's "Package" like I said before.

So Package is the CPU temp? I have 0, 1, 2 temps how do I know what each is for?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 7:46:34 PM

Yeah, Package is the CPU temp (taken from the sensor embedded internally onto the heat spreader on the chip) and the rest (0, 1, 2, 3) are each core's die temps.
m
l
April 22, 2012 7:48:26 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, Package is the CPU temp (taken from the sensor embedded internally onto the heat spreader on the chip) and the rest (0, 1, 2, 3) are each core's die temps.

I meant the Temp 0, 1, and 2. Do those mean anything? I know what the core temps are. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough for a user's guide to the HW Monitor program. x_X
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 7:56:20 PM

Are you're talking about the TMPIN0, 1, 2? Those could be anything really, but are usually something like North/South bridge, and VRM temps.

Edit: TMPIN0 for me is my GPU's temp sensor.
m
l
April 22, 2012 7:59:15 PM

Well the max today it says that it got up to was 56 degrees Celsius in the Package line. This was while I was playing Left 4 Dead 2, I hope that isn't too hot.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 8:06:36 PM

56C is just fine. You shouldn't worry really until you get to the mid 70's and above. Even then, it'll go up to 90+ before it starts to throttle. "Safe" though is anything 72 or lower. And like I've said earlier in the thread, I've had my 2500K up to 92C before with the stock HSF, and it's none the worse for wear. Maybe its lifespan is shortened by like a month (when it'll still last for many years)...
m
l
April 22, 2012 8:10:22 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
56C is just fine. You shouldn't worry really until you get to the mid 70's and above. Even then, it'll go up to 90+ before it starts to throttle. "Safe" though is anything 72 or lower. And like I've said earlier in the thread, I've had my 2500K up to 92C before with the stock HSF, and it's none the worse for wear. Maybe its lifespan is shortened by like a month (when it'll still last for many years)...

I've never had a computer go above 45 degrees celsius so it's a little nerve racking. Plus I'm a girl and non one ever takes me seriously when I try to talk about my computer and potential issues.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 8:23:57 PM

blznhot18 said:
I've never had a computer go above 45 degrees celsius so it's a little nerve racking. Plus I'm a girl and non one ever takes me seriously when I try to talk about my computer and potential issues.

LOL, I can understand how frustrating that must be. But seriously, it's hard to kill a CPU by high temps alone. They're made very well and can take a beating. Now, what CAN kill a CPU quickly is high Vcore, but since you're not OC'ing, you won't have to worry about that.
m
l
April 22, 2012 8:25:09 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
LOL, I can understand how frustrating that must be. But seriously, it's hard to kill a CPU by high temps alone. They're made very well and can take a beating. Now, what CAN kill a CPU quickly is high Vcore, but since you're not OC'ing, you won't have to worry about that.

Vcore?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 8:36:56 PM

blznhot18 said:
Vcore?

Yep, the voltage of the processor. In HWMonitor, it's under "Voltages" as "CPU VCORE" For the Sandy Bridge processors (2500K, 2600, etc.) it needs to stay below 1.45V or so for the processor to last very long, but it'll never get that high without OC'ing, since you generally have to raise the voltage to achieve higher clock speeds (especially when you approach 4.2 GHz and beyond).
m
l
April 22, 2012 8:42:31 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yep, the voltage of the processor. In HWMonitor, it's under "Voltages" as "CPUVCORE" For the Sandy Bridge processors (2500K, 2600, etc.) it needs to stay below 1.45V or so for the processor to last very long, but it'll never get that high without OC'ing, since you generally have to raise the voltage to achieve higher clock speeds (especially when you approach 4.2 GHz and beyond).

Lol, there are three under Voltages and they are at 1.66.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 8:51:39 PM

blznhot18 said:
Lol, there are three under Voltages and they are at 1.66.

I actually have 6 total voltages listed, but the only ones that make any sense are the CPU VCORE, and 3VCC/AVCC which are all correctly reported. The others just don't make any sense because the voltages they report don't seem to match up with anything (too low or too high). I'm guessing they do, but they're so out of range that I don't trust them. I think that's just my motherboard though, and HWMonitor can't make sense of what to report from it.

I should add that it DOES report my GPU voltage too, which would make it 7 total voltages, I suppose, but it's listed under the graphics card section (Says "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560", in my case).
m
l
April 22, 2012 8:53:17 PM

Well all three under Voltages read 1.66V, none say CPU. So...is that bad for me?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 9:01:20 PM

blznhot18 said:
Well all three under Voltages read 1.66V, none say CPU. So...is that bad for me?

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it, since you don't really need to see it anyway, as long as you don't OC (and assuming that's not a 2600K, you can't really OC to the point that you would need to add voltage anyway). There are other programs that can tell you though, like CPU-z, if you're interested.
m
l
April 22, 2012 9:03:23 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Nah, I wouldn't worry about it, since you don't need to see it anyway, as long as you don't OC (and assuming that's not a 2600K, you can't really OC to the point that you would need to add voltage anyway). There are other programs that can tell you though, like CPU-z, if you're interested.

It's just the i7 2600 at 3.4 GHz, not over clocked or touched.

Downloaded CPU-z, lol, the voltage on that is way different than the HW Monitor. According to CPU-z the Core VID is .986
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 9:06:03 PM

blznhot18 said:
It's just the i7 2600 at 3.4 GHz, not over clocked or touched.

Yeah, it's fine then. Just check out CPU-z, if you're ever interested to know what the Vcore is though (it's listed as "Core Voltage" there).

EdiT, Just saw that you DID dl CPU-z, LOL. Just remember that with Turbo and SpeedStep the voltage will change a lot. And VID is different than actual votage, that's just what voltage the processor wants, not necessarily what the actual voltage IS. Actual voltage is listed beside "Core Voltage".
m
l
April 22, 2012 9:07:44 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, it's fine then. Just check out CPU-z, if you're ever interested to know what the Vcore is though (it's listed as "Core Voltage" there).

Thank you so much for all of your help. Would it be ok I I PMed you in the future if I have any more burning questions? ;3
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 9:11:32 PM

blznhot18 said:
Thank you so much for all of your help. Would it be ok I I PMed you in the future if I have any more burning questions? ;3

No problem, and glad I could help. And sure, no problem with that at all.
m
l
April 22, 2012 9:13:24 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:

EdiT, Just saw that you DID dl CPU-z, LOL. Just remember that with Turbo and SpeedStep the voltage will change a lot. And VID is different than actual votage, that's just what voltage the processor wants, not necessarily what the actual voltage IS. Actual voltage is listed beside "Core Voltage".

I'm not seeing a core voltage, all I see is the Core VID
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 9:24:53 PM

blznhot18 said:
I'm not seeing a core voltage, all I see is the Core VID

Hmm, that's strange. Honestly, CPU-z doesn't even list a VID for me, just Core Voltage. Click the banner in my signature to see what I'm talking about.
m
l
April 22, 2012 9:26:44 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Hmm, that's strange. Honestly, CPU-z doesn't even list a VID for me, just Core Voltage. Click the banner in my signature to see what I'm talking about.

Lol, great. Yea, I'm just getting the Core VID, nothing about Core Voltage.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 9:31:45 PM

blznhot18 said:
Lol, great. Yea, I'm just getting the Core VID, nothing about Core Voltage.

I'll admit, that's a new one for me. I just thought everyone saw Core Voltage and not just VID, since I've never seen anyone on here say that they only had a VID listing. Oh well, like I said, it's not really a big deal in your situation.
m
l
April 22, 2012 9:37:13 PM

I'm not gonna worry about it too much, they say that program voltages aren't as accurate as getting a voltage meter and physically testing the voltage. Thanks for the help anyways though. ;3
m
l
April 22, 2012 9:37:52 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I'll admit, that's a new one for me. I just thought everyone saw Core Voltage and not just VID, since I've never seen anyone on here say that they only had a VID listing. Oh well, like I said, it's not really a big deal in your situation.

I'm not gonna worry about it too much, they say that program voltages aren't as accurate as getting a voltage meter and physically testing the voltage. Thanks for the help anyways though. ;3
m
l
!