Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hello,
My PC is:
P7P55D-E
i5 760
Crucial 2x4 GB 1600 MHz CL9 Ballistix
GeForce 8500 GT
As the title said, only half of RAM is working. In BIOS it says that only 4094 MB of RAM is working.
I tried switching slots of RAM. Only the blue one near the CPU is working well, the black ones aren't working at all. I tried with another RAM sticks and they are working like these too, so it's not RAM fault.
Recently I've changed my thermal paste. Could I break a CPU pin?
2nd thing that may be wrong, it's that graphic card. My 460 GTX is on warranty now because it got burned. Can 8500 GT cause a problem?
Resource monitor picture:
eQGNveS.png

Are you using 32bit or 64bit windows? Have you tried two known good sticks in the black slots? I mean as in you only put ram into the black slots and not the blue ones to make sure that that is indeed the problem.

Robscire

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
It's 64 bit, I'm not that retarded. I've tried other sticks too, PC doesn't boot. It only boots when there are 2 sticks in blue slots. Black slots aren't working at all I think. I can't use 1 slot too if it's not CPU nearer blue slot.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

The bios dosen't detect 8gb so Windows is not the problem here ...

I would say that it's all about the motherboard. Try another motherboard or send back the one you have right now. Bent cpu pins won't cause this .... It won't detect the cpu that's it ...

- The Brownie

Robscire

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

But 4098 of RAM is hardware reserved.

Hmmm interesting. What bios are you using? There seems to be an update for added memory stability, might be worth a shot. Though that update was a while back so you might already have it.

Another thing you might find to be semi useful is checking the slots for damage or obstructions. (compare the blue with the black and see if anything looks off with the pins, sometimes they can get gunked up.)

Did you ground yourself? I would try resetting the cmos. I'll think more and get back to you if I find anything..

Robscire

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

I think rubber sandals can ground myself. I resetted CMOS many times. It only did that I couldn't boot PC and I had to change slot of my graphic card (wtf?).

Robscire

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Also, this thing happens since I got this PC: when I cut its power off (like removing the power cable) and then I connect it again, it boots double: 1 second, then it turns off, then it boots again. Maybe that can help with it.

I suggest reinstalling the CPU and checking the socket for bent pins. Use a magnifying glass or take a high res picture.
Reseating the CPU heatsink might also help. Test the board outside the case.

bdario

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016

I'm having almost the same issue here, half RAM is hardware reserved. I wonder if you solved that, thanks

Robscire

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

yes it were broken cpu socket pins causing lots of problems like that