New i5-2500k Build Questions

For $40 bucks, I can get something pretty much guaranteed to be better than the Piledriver series. AMD is likely to change the socket for the better Piledrivers (and the post-Piledriver series), so I'd be screwed for future upgrades too. Intel says that Ivy Bridge will have some on the 1155 socket, so that makes Intel the best "future-proof" solution right now.

Now that my hopes of AMD have been crushed and shared with random people that don't really care, how well does the i5-2500k overclock?

Will a Hyper 212 be a good, cheap fan+heatsink? ($29.99+ free shipping from Newegg)

What's a good "future-proof" motherboard that won't break the bank? (< $150)

Thanks for the help, guys.
4 answers Last reply
More about 2500k build questions
  1. 2500k is one of the best OCing CPUs.

The Hyper 212 is good with it.

This motherboard should do GA-Z68AP-D3
  2. Raiddinn said:
    2500k is one of the best OCing CPUs.

The Hyper 212 is good with it.

This motherboard should do GA-Z68AP-D3

Thanks for the Mobo.

I see you have a AMD X4 setup. What do you think about the X6? Compared to the i5-2500k, how visible is the difference?
  3. Totally agree with everything that was just said ^^

And with that CPU and heatsink, you can easily add 1 GHz to the CPU without a problem. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you should even be able to get to 4.5 GHz with that cooler.
  4. The 2500k performs generally better than an AMD x6.

AMD is for people on budgets (like me). If you can afford to go north of $150 on a processor you should probably just ignore AMD and stick with Intel (2400, 2500, 2600, etc).
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Intel i5 Systems