Sign in with
Your question

New setup

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2012 12:01:39 AM

Hi everyone. I'm interested in finally making my own htpc for bedroom after years of mental planning the time has finally come to having money to do so yet I have no idea what’s on market. I’m in the UK and all my forum searches seem show up stuff that's unavailable as it’s US based.

My current gaming rig is:
Windows 7 x64
i5 750 @3.7ghz
asus p7p55d-e pro motherboard
hd6950
60 gb vortex 2 ssd
tons sata/ide drives totalling 3tb
4gb ripjaw 1333 ram
in haf 932
3x iyama 24" monitors.

My pc setup is not half bad but I want to upgrade to i7 sandy bridge so that means replacing motherbaord ram etc don't mind that and upgrade to haf X dunno why but looks cooler. Thinking using i5 parts to make another gaming based htpc. I know some people think it's contradictory to what htpc for but i don't mind playing games on 42" tv using wireless keyboard and mouse. It's nothing to extreme just want be able to play league of legends or occasional mmorpg or even sims 3 for misses.
I think at this point to add have mobility issues so hence reason why want two htpc one for bedroom and one for living room and for hardcore gaming just use the pc setup. (If it’s available.)
For bedroom i’m using one the iiyama monitors connteced to ps3 for streaming movies off main pc which on 24/7 and laptop connected to vga for when need surf or more reliable streaming media. So for the bedroom am looking for htpc to wirelessly stream my media also surfing and casual gaming but not completely neccesory but i want HD freeview tuner card.
Also i have parts lying around which i would like to do something constructive with possibly a homemade NAT as i running out space with 3tb i have (ordered 2tb more).
I have;
Asus m2v
Athlon x64
6 gb ddr2 ram
Hd 5850
7900gt
8800 gts
500w psu
I haven’t been able to get rid them as their ancient and i haven’t had to build anyone a pc. I was thinking of getting a dark fleet case using it as a nat/server adding terabytes as needed. Was recommended a drobo but i don’t wanna spend £500 on just a case to be honest. I wanted about 6 tb for storage and another 6 tb for backup.
So to summarise
Need decide bedroom tv between;
Panasonic TX-L32X20B vs Panasonic Viera TX-L32U3B vs Samsung LE32C650 vs Samsung
LE32C530

Need bedroom htpc
Surfing/media stream/(HDfreeview)/(Gaming)

Need living room htpc
Surfing/media stream/Gaming
Need storage solution for all media (expanding)

Need use for old working junk!

Thanks guys

More about : setup

a c 92 B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2012 9:12:25 PM

Quote:

Asus m2v
Athlon x64
6 gb ddr2 ram
Hd 5850
7900gt
8800 gts
500w psu

You could more than likely reuse more than a few parts here. I don't think you'll be able to reuse the Athlon as there's not a lot of AM2 motherboards still around and the ones that are made by junk manufacturers. You could definitely reuse the 5850 and the PSU. Finding a case for that though where it could still function as an HTPC would prove to be a bit of a challenge. How much are you looking to spend? Let's start there.
January 11, 2012 11:53:01 PM

To be honest I don't have cap on budget as long as it's justified. So am willing spend £300 on case as if fits needs i.e all components would fit as opposed to £100 case which won't fit or cause problems due to air flow etc.
Saying that i think £500 is reasonable but don't mind stretching.
My pc pretty over kill in terms games i play (I5 and 6950 for Microsoft games like solitaire)
Case wise i don't mind if it's ugly as I'd rather stare at the screen just something efficient. bang for buck per say. TV stand going to be bought in accordance to case dimensions.
I settled for LE32C650.
Build wise I'm leaning towards i3 sandy but need research amd alternatives.
Was thinking micro-atx but doubt the cases would fit a 5850.
The asus m2v supports athlon x64 chip i have but those where from a good 3/4 years ago and the scene has changed.
i like ebuyers deal on HP ProLiant Turion II N40L MicroServer debating between that and qnap inequivalent.
Related resources
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2012 12:30:09 AM

Quote:
Build wise I'm leaning towards i3 sandy but need research amd alternatives.

The only AMD alternative I can think of is going with a Llano-based system but then that defeats the purpose of reusing the 5850.

The i3-2100 is an excellent CPU - I have a Z68 build and that's what I based it around.

Quote:
Case wise i don't mind if it's ugly as I'd rather stare at the screen just something efficient. bang for buck per say. TV stand going to be bought in accordance to case dimensions.

I'm US-based so I'm not entirely familiar with UK power requirements and things like that - I can browse Ebuyer and see what I come up with. The thing is if you get a TV-style case you won't be able to reuse the 5850, either.

Quote:
My pc pretty over kill in terms games i play (I5 and 6950 for Microsoft games like solitaire)

:lol: 

You could probably use a G680, 2GB RAM and onboard video for that.

Quote:
The asus m2v supports athlon x64 chip i have but those where from a good 3/4 years ago and the scene has changed.

If all you're doing is streaming video and things like that, you could just use this and be fine. My laptop is nearly 3 years old now and it still handles all the media chores I put it through quite nicely.
January 12, 2012 1:44:01 AM

lol. I was joking about solitaire i run any game I've tried max in 3 screen eyefinity.

I've been looking at 6770 as an alternative but would like to put 5850 to work. But doubtful it would work as need add TV tuner and wireless card.

I think I'll use m2v make uncle a htpc as a belated xmas gift. Be cheapest ever but thought that counts.

although i have 360, wii and ps3 their streaming sucks to be honest so need thing has no problem streaming 1080p. Plus play league and aion other such mmos in coomfort of my bed. rofl.
!