GTX 580 Concern

Alcad

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
So I'm purchasing the MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition GeForce GTX 580 3GB, and I've heard that its a pretty hefty card, and I've heard of a few people getting some bending of the motherboard from it. So my question is thus: is there any sort of graphics card "support bracket" or something similar to help with the weight of the card so it doesn't damage itself or my motherboard, or do you think it'll be fine?

Here's my case and mobo if that matters.

Case: Azza Hurrican 2000
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I have a HAF X which comes with a GPU holder. My motherboard is the g1.sniper2. I have two huge monstrous GTX 580 super overclock edition that take up two brackets.

I opted not to use the gpu holder, I found it was just too obstructive for additional air intake. I do not see any way that a motherboard may actually crack from the weight of the card given its allignment. The motherboard is on a vertical stand, GPU's are usually situated towards the bottom and thus holds no true stress on the motherboard given its bottom positioning. If it were dangling at the top, then I might see it as an issue.

Further more, the pci slot and bracket screw should be more than suffice to hold it in steady. This is where most of the 'weight stress' is situatied, so long as you screw it in properly it'll be fine.

I wouldn't be concerned of this issue at all if your fine with installing gpu's properly.

As with actual gpu holders, I'm yet to really see one that are not 'part' of a case such as the HAF X etc... Hopefully someone here might know of one to ease your concern, but I wouldnt worry about it.

Good luck!