System build for 2012

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2012 12:47:16 AM

Hello,

I am looking to build my first computer this year and would really like some input on what would make a great build. Thanks for helping.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 4 months

Budget Range: $1000-$1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Archiving DVD and Blu-Ray and CD collection, Home Video editing (some HD) Surfing the net, some picture editing and some gaming. Games like Diablo III, WOW.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard and Mouse. (open to suggestions if someone feels this is really important)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I prefer Newegg, but I am open to Tiger Direct or wherever the best deal can be found.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: I do like Intel for CPU. Would appreciate suggestions on just about everything else.

Overclocking: Maybe, don't know if it's necessary.

SLI or Crossfire: Again not sure< I will be happy to listen for suggestions.

Monitor Resolution: brand and resolution suggestions welcome.

More about : system build 2012

January 10, 2012 1:39:24 AM

Quote:
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Archiving DVD and Blu-Ray and CD collection, Home Video editing (some HD) Surfing the net, some picture editing and some gaming. Games like Diablo III, WOW.

I'm not a WOW player but Blizzard games aren't as resource - intensive as a game like Skyrim is.

Quote:
Parts Not Required: Keyboard and Mouse. (open to suggestions if someone feels this is really important)

I'm really in the minority around here on this one but I really feel that the keyboard / mouse is the least important part of a system. I'll never spend hundreds on peripherals and aside from an XBOX controller and a wireless keyboard/mouse that's really all you need anymore.

Quote:
Monitor Resolution: brand and resolution suggestions welcome.

I'd suggest making the monitor a separate purchase from your build. The thing is with HD prices at really ridiculous levels due to the Thailand situation it can be really difficult to get a build under $1K with monitor and OS. But you definitely want at least a 22 - 24" monitor with 1080p resolution. Asus and Acer are usually my top choices for monitors but Viewsonic, Dell, and Hannspree are also pretty popular choices as well.

Maybe try this build. It doesn't include monitor but it should give you an idea:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 - $84.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P - $174.99
CPU: 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-2400 - $189.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $40.99
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4 - $104.99
HD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda XT 7200 RPM - $124.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC12800 1600MHz 1.5V - $44.99
Optical: MSI DVD Burner - included with HD
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 - $149.99

Total: $1084.97
m
l
January 10, 2012 8:58:24 AM
January 20, 2012 12:01:11 AM

Thanks for contributing. I am really liking the recommend case.
m
l
!