Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim issue GTX 590

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 12, 2011 9:29:55 AM

I recently got new game Skyrim, and there's slight problem I thought GTX 590 is fastest card on the market (I know mars II is fastest) anyway, I suppose to get over 60fps constant on this game, but when I'm in town I get 30-40fps, now that's annoying and when I sitting looking at scenery I get 50-60fps if I'm lucky I get 70fps that's rare, I'm using new beta drivers I also have BF3 I get good fps there, but on skyrim I can't enjoy the game properly plus I have GTX 590 it suppose to eat the game not suffer.....any advice

Here's my rig spec:

Motherboard: G1 assassin gigabyte
CPU: i7 990x 3.46ghz
Graphics card: GTX 590 3GB
Ram: 12GB Corsair (2200mhz something)
HDD: 1TB Samsung F1 (soon I'm upgrading SSD)
Monitor: SA950 Samsung 19200x1080

I don't mind spent bit more money I just want to enjoy the game fully no low fps, any advice would be much appreciate

Thanks.

More about : skyrim issue gtx 590

November 12, 2011 9:39:09 AM

I keep getting 35-50fps even in combat, I see slight performance drawn down, could it be my graphics or the game, or has anyone having similar issue like me, thanks
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 9:56:30 AM

i dont think that SLI is working on skyrim as of current beta drivers.
though, a single gtx580 is sufficient for skyrim.
Related resources
November 12, 2011 9:58:18 AM

mayankleoboy1 said:
i dont think that SLI is working on skyrim as of current beta drivers.
though, a single gtx580 is sufficient for skyrim.

Thanks for reply, you think they will fix it?
a c 164 U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 10:33:47 AM

What resolution?

According to toms review, SLI is supposed to be working, CF isn't. Make sure the game and your drivers are as patched up as they go. There is also a 60FPS cap on the game, so I'm not sure how you are getting 70FPS.
November 13, 2011 6:52:27 AM

At the moment, Skyrim is pretty badly optimized for PC. Crossfire is definately not supported, heap a lag there. Tomshardware review point out that the game is a CPU hog, this usually dictates a console port.

You can disable Vysnc for a performance boost, just type it in uncle google and you'll find it easily. In the mean time, make sure you have the recently released beta drivers and wait out for a game / further driver patches.

Your computer should eat it alive. But like I said, have to wait for patches / drivers. I have a 6950 crossfire, and it stutters/lags like crap.

Good luck!
November 13, 2011 4:24:48 PM

You said your CPU was an i7 990x, still at 3.46ghz. Well...
Quote:
Tomshardware review point out that the game is a CPU hog

I read the same review about Skyrim performance on different GPUs as this other guy I think, and yeah they definitely said it helped to have an overclocked sandy bridge i5- or i7- k.
I don't see how it could be the 590's fault. That thing is built to kill Skyrim, yeah? It should render the living crap out of that game. That is a whole lotta chip.
Quote:
I don't mind spent bit more money

How much more money?
If you want to make the most of that graphics card right now, you want a 2nd gen sandy bridge processor (i5- or i7- k), which means you also need a new motherboard (the sniper 2 maybe, if you're still rollin' in ducats) and a new hot-running, high-count RAM kit just to round things out nicely.
Then again, you probably don't want to just sell the 990x that used to be so exciting to some second-year design student on ebay for chump change.
So before you do anything else, maybe you should see if overclocking your current CPU can help you to reach a frame rate for Skyrim that you're happy with. That might entail some research. Here is a helpful maxim: slow but steady is less likey to fry the expensive CPU. Make sure your set-up is sufficient for cooling, check your temps as you go. I've never overclocked, so that's about all the advice I can give you there. Don't expect to reach the high ranges with the 990x that the overclockers can get with their water-cooled systems.
If you don't want to overclock and you don't want to invest a lot of money in sandy bridge for such a small improvement, then all you can do is make use of software updates as they come along, like the other guy said.
I'm hanging out for ivy bridge and kepler. I might build a Windows 8 PC on them in late-2012, if they turn out well, and at the right price. Might get Skyrim for - what - $50 by then, on special?
a c 536 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 2:31:23 AM

Keep using the new beta 285.79 drivers which enable SLI on Skyrim. The next thing to do is to look at your game specific settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. For me, I chose to dial AA settings down to 4x when Skyrim seemed choppy on 8x AA.

In the Nvidia Control Panel under "Manage 3D Settings", go to the "Program Settings" tab. Make sure that "skyrimlauncher.exe" has an entry in the drop down menu. If it isn't there, navigate to it using the "Add" button.

Under the game specific settings for skyrimlauncher.exe the first thing to do is to go all the way to the bottom and set Vsync to "Force off". Then I would manually set Anisotropic Filtering to "16x", but Antialiasing at "Application-controlled". Everything else could easily be set to maximum, including Antialiasing-Transparency at "8x Supersampling". Finally, make sure that Ambient Occlusion at the top is turned off, it isn't supported in Skyrim (it should automatically be greyed out in the control panel).

After that, just make sure everything else in the in game Options menu is set to maximum/Ultra.
a c 88 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 2:34:34 AM

Alot of gamers are having problems with Skyrim and some other new releases , the games are really buggy and its like they have been rushed for release.
Try playing Dead Island or Rage and you will get lots of graphics issues.
Best thing to do right now is just sit it out for new updates and patches, till they iron out all the bugs with these games.
Your system isnt the culprit, many other gamers will agree.
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 4:16:22 AM

Are you able to get 3D vision to work with that SA950 Samsung? The game is quite good in 3D vision.
November 15, 2011 2:28:15 AM

I found out a way to free up some fps, and its partly the games fault its bad. follow the instructions and do it up. TES Skyrim only uses 2gb of your RAM no matter how much RAM your system has, this web site will show you how to let Skyrim use more of your RAM thus increasing performance. http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=134
November 15, 2011 11:53:44 AM

Hey OP, I am also playing on a GTX 590, just bought it.

-My FPS is similar, maybe up to 10 higher on average than what you stated.

-To whoever mentioned the 60 FPS restriction, I'm getting well over a hundred at times? Or at least according to FRAPS..

bystander, are you able to play in 3D? My 3d vision doesn't work for the game.

November 15, 2011 1:03:42 PM

has1 said:
I recently got new game Skyrim, and there's slight problem I thought GTX 590 is fastest card on the market (I know mars II is fastest) anyway, I suppose to get over 60fps constant on this game, but when I'm in town I get 30-40fps, now that's annoying and when I sitting looking at scenery I get 50-60fps if I'm lucky I get 70fps that's rare, I'm using new beta drivers I also have BF3 I get good fps there, but on skyrim I can't enjoy the game properly plus I have GTX 590 it suppose to eat the game not suffer.....any advice

Here's my rig spec:

Motherboard: G1 assassin gigabyte
CPU: i7 990x 3.46ghz
Graphics card: GTX 590 3GB
Ram: 12GB Corsair (2200mhz something)
HDD: 1TB Samsung F1 (soon I'm upgrading SSD)
Monitor: SA950 Samsung 19200x1080

I don't mind spent bit more money I just want to enjoy the game fully no low fps, any advice would be much appreciate

Thanks.

I get consistant 60fps outside with 40 to 60 in towns running with a ASUS gtx 580 direct cu II
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 15, 2011 1:17:14 PM

jk47 said:

-To whoever mentioned the 60 FPS restriction, I'm getting well over a hundred at times? Or at least according to FRAPS..

Yes I can, and for the most part, it's excellent, except when close to water, as objects in the water and reflected by water are not shown at the right depth.

However, that monitor is not designed for 3D vision, so I was curious if it ever works for 3D vision.
a c 125 U Graphics card
November 15, 2011 1:35:35 PM

Turn down shadows... lol.

But seriously.

Yeah Skyrim performance is pretty wonky for me, running only a single 5850 right now since CF doesn't work but at least I'm averaging around 55fps, even with my custom config for beyond Ultra settings (google DNA Skyrim Config - it's really awesome).
a c 536 U Graphics card
November 15, 2011 3:01:07 PM

I tried playing with the AA settings in the Nvidia Control Panel using the "Enhance the application setting". It seems to make a big difference, turning up the AA that way instead of through the in-game menu. You basically have several more options there and they actually seem to increase the visual quality.
November 15, 2011 4:12:40 PM

bystander said:
Yes I can, and for the most part, it's excellent, except when close to water, as objects in the water and reflected by water are not shown at the right depth.

However, that monitor is not designed for 3D vision, so I was curious if it ever works for 3D vision.

Interesting. I have an Nvidia monitor, but 3d doesn't work. It plays with double images for me. Maybe there's a way for me to tweak it to make it work.
November 15, 2011 4:16:39 PM

Thats a bit odd, i get really good framerates without tinkering with Nvidia console and im running the game in DNA Extreme except for indoor shadows that seems to fail somehow.(Minimum FPS encountered with fraps is ~30) At first i was really disappointed on the look of the game, with bad visual range etc. But then i encountered this nifty little site and it was like a relevation!! The game looks soooooo MUCH BETTER!!!

http://donotargue.com/cfg-makers/skyrim/

For GTX590 you just have to tweak a bit for indoor shadows and then just......drooool over the awesomeness :bounce: 

Im running i7@4.0 With a GTX590.

Oh, maybe you lack a good harddrive for your rig?? It might be there you have your stuttering problem, personally i run OS and the game on SSD and is a absolutely stutter free ride to gfx heaven ;-)

a c 216 U Graphics card
November 15, 2011 4:38:13 PM

jk47 said:
Interesting. I have an Nvidia monitor, but 3d doesn't work. It plays with double images for me. Maybe there's a way for me to tweak it to make it work.

I tried tridef 3D, and it did that to me, but Nvidia 3D vision works well. I was hoping that the tridef would help with the water. Unfortunately I ran into the double image thing.
November 15, 2011 5:03:47 PM

bystander said:
I tried tridef 3D, and it did that to me, but Nvidia 3D vision works well. I was hoping that the tridef would help with the water. Unfortunately I ran into the double image thing.

Have you enabled anything in-game? Tweaked anything in Nvidia control panel?

I just got my 3D, but by default a couple other games work fine in 3D.. Weird how I can't get it to work with 3D Vision.
November 15, 2011 5:15:04 PM

I am currently also having problems with FPS on Skyrim, as I run a EVGA GTX 590 3GB. My rig is as follows.

i7 2600k @ stock speeds.
8GB DDR3 1866MHz G.Skill ram
120GB Corsair SSD
850W Corsair PSU
GTX 590
Asus P67 Sabertooth MB

I'm fairly certain my PC should murder the hell out of this game, but I drop from 60 FPS down to +/- 40 FPS fairly often, especially in towns, and I feel it too, when it happens, its not as smooth and shutters. I'm running at 1080p res on a 24" Asus monitor, and running all settings in game maxed out. I am also running the newest Beta drivers for Skyrim.

Note: My friend using SLI GTX 570's had a 570 die on him, so he RMA'd it, and noticed it did not make any difference having the second card in Skyrim, and he too, was running the newest beta drivers with SLI turned on. Odd?
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 15, 2011 5:40:51 PM

jk47 said:
Have you enabled anything in-game? Tweaked anything in Nvidia control panel?

I just got my 3D, but by default a couple other games work fine in 3D.. Weird how I can't get it to work with 3D Vision.

Nothing in game needed to be tweaked, but I do have the beta drivers installed.
a c 536 U Graphics card
November 15, 2011 5:44:21 PM

The 285.79 release notes list this for Skyrim and 3D:

Added or updated the following 3D Vision game profiles:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – rated Excellent
November 15, 2011 6:47:40 PM

jk47 said:

Do you by any chance have V sync disable in the Nvidia control panel? As it can make my FPS's shoot up to over a hungred.
November 16, 2011 12:54:40 PM

I do have Htz set to 120 in the Nvidia control panel, as per my screen's capability. Which is I suppose the equivalent of disabling Vsync?

3D works now for my Skyrim. Still doesn't seem perfect though? If I adjust it to beyond 25% depth, I see a dim reflection of my equipped weapon.

In other news, I got the Nvidia beta driver for Skyrim SLI. Holy!! What a difference - in many areas my FPS hovers over 100. And now I'm using a totally maxed DNA config, FPS floats between 60-70. Whew, glad I got onto this thread.
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 2:05:58 PM

jk47 said:
I do have Htz set to 120 in the Nvidia control panel, as per my screen's capability. Which is I suppose the equivalent of disabling Vsync?

It's not the same, but on a 120hz screen, you'll get up to a max of 120 FPS instead of 60.

jk47 said:
3D works now for my Skyrim. Still doesn't seem perfect though? If I adjust it to beyond 25% depth, I see a dim reflection of my equipped weapon.

That dim reflection is known as crosstalking. Monitors which are slow to go from white to black often take longer than what your refresh rate demands. Sometimes it's due to the glasses instead, allowing bright colors to shine through, which putting your monitor a little further away from you can often fix.

I personally notice this effect on the opening screen only, as the background is pure black. The reason the higher depth effects this more is that the images on the screen separates more when it's creating distance on objects.

jk47 said:
In other news, I got the Nvidia beta driver for Skyrim SLI. Holy!! What a difference - in many areas my FPS hovers over 100. And now I'm using a totally maxed DNA config, FPS floats between 60-70. Whew, glad I got onto this thread.

Very nice, enjoy the game. I find it's a lot better than Oblivion, even if the UI sucks.
a c 125 U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 5:56:31 PM

Yeah it's way better than Oblivion!!

I can't wait for the AMD CF profile to come out. They tweeted it's like... today or tomorrow. Well they weren't specific but that's the gist of what I got.

I'm using that DNA config as well - so awesome. Except 1 thing bugs me. I noticed that at a specific distance, the ground suddenly turns a darker shade. I attempted to increase everything to do with distances - mesh, shadow, light, etc - but it was always the same. Anyone else seeing that? I only notice it outdoors, like in a field.
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 6:37:47 PM

wolfram23 said:
Yeah it's way better than Oblivion!!

I can't wait for the AMD CF profile to come out. They tweeted it's like... today or tomorrow. Well they weren't specific but that's the gist of what I got.

I'm using that DNA config as well - so awesome. Except 1 thing bugs me. I noticed that at a specific distance, the ground suddenly turns a darker shade. I attempted to increase everything to do with distances - mesh, shadow, light, etc - but it was always the same. Anyone else seeing that? I only notice it outdoors, like in a field.

Sometimes AF levels help this or at least push back the distance when it starts.
a c 125 U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 8:28:42 PM

Hm I've got AF at 16 so can't be that. I'm going to try going back to stock Ultra settings and modify 1 setting at a time to see what the culprit is.

That is, unless it's there already and needs an update. I read that Skyrim is going to get a patch sometime this week as well.
a c 536 U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 11:00:51 PM

Anyone figure out what "Object Detail Fade" does? Obviously it makes details in the distance fade as you move away from them, but I'm not sure if it should be on or off with a GTX 580 and FPS in the 100 range.
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 11:01:39 PM

Don't judge your system by a game that is poorly coded, poorly optimized in general poorly produced. Some aspects of the game are good obviously, but they utterly failed in the performance department. The graphics are nice, but even with Skyrim on full ultra many other games look far better and perform massively better.
a c 125 U Graphics card
November 17, 2011 2:41:23 AM

Hmm not entirely sure matto. Most of the config options in that area are Level of Detail fade distances, in which case you'd probably want to make them further away.

I found out what my issue was. fShadowLODStartFade. It's a strange parameter, basically dictates how far away shadows stop appearing. The odd thing is that it's only set to about 400 on Ultra which is pretty darn close. I had it on 600 and could definitely see where shadows start. Might need to really pump that value up lol.
!