The extra VGA port on MOBO

gravite3k

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I build computers and sell them. Was wondering do the VGA port on the mobo affect anything? Like let say I have the computer installed with a graphics card and the customer plug the VGA connector into the VGA port on the mobo. Will that cause any harm to the computer? Because dell computers usually blocks that VGA port whenever theres a graphics card present.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
No it won't harm them at all. This port (be it VGA/DVI/HDMI) will simply run off the CPU/Motherboards integrated graphics rather than the discrete GPU you've installed.

They obviously won't get near the video performance that they would out of the dedicated card, but it won't cause any problems. (They could actually use it as an extra output for web browsing etc if they wanted more monitors and were out of output channels on the discrete card)

caqde

Distinguished
It would most likely end up with you getting a phone call asking why they have no video. Otherwise no harm as it won't do anything at all. This of course is assuming the onboard card is off, otherwise they would be using the onboard GPU instead of the discrete card.

No. The BIOS will detect the presence of a video card and automagically disable the onboard GPU.

gravite3k

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I just received a call from a customer saying he cannot turn the power on. Then I asked him to plug the vga connector to the video card and boom the computer powers on. Thats pretty weird. I guess the mobo prevents the PSU from harming it or something.