redchicago

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
A friend just installed a new motherboard in my computer (Asus P5N32-E Sli 680i) after I had been experiencing a ton of problems with my GA-P35-DSR3. Since the installation 2 days ago, I've had very high CPU temperatures. High 40s-50s at idle and 70-80 when gaming (WoW).

Perhaps I didn't seat my stock heatsink (e6600) correctly, so I plan to redo it tonight after I buy some more thermal grease.

Since I have to stop off at MicroCenter to get some thermal grease, I thought perhaps I would invest in a heatsink better than the stock intel one that comes with my CPU.

For the moment, I am stuck with the poor offering at MicroCenter (want to get back up and running asap and don't want to wait a week to get one from Newegg).

[L=MicroCenter]http://www.microcenter.com/search_results_e.phtml?category_title=Fans%2F+Cooling%2F+Case+Modification&search_id=ea09dce28ee1686ddb95f89b1af38c24&sort_by=&manufacturer_title=[/L]

I don't want to have to redo the the entire installation of my motherboard, so could someone recommend a decent cooling system under $75 that will fit on my motherboard and not require me to take out the board to do the installation (ie. back brackets like in the Zalman models).

Thanks!

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Unfortunately there is no easy alternative, I'm pretty sure the Thermalright Ultra-120 uses the stock back-plate but I'm not going to recommend attempting to replace a bolt-thru heatsink without removing the motherboard.
There's nothing hard about it, just make note of every connection as you remove it and reinstall in reverse order of disassembly.
Extra precautions should be taken if you are using RAID and/or SATA.