Sign in with
Your question

HIS Radeon 5850 fan noise (slipped bearing?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 12, 2011 12:22:30 PM

I've been running my PC rig with a Radeon 5850 from HIS for the past few years, and it's been very good to me over that time.
http://www.techspot.com/review/206-his-radeon-hd-5850/

However, over the last couple of weeks I've had the card's built-in fan start making a very loud grinding noise when it's running, sometimes just when displaying the desktop. It seems to happen more often during gaming or watching video, and it's quite distracting in any event. It's intermittent, sometimes the PC runs completely silently, but when it starts making the noise it usually keeps going until I put it in Sleep mode.
I've checked all other components, nothing is contacting the fan when it spins, and manually stopping the fan (read: holding it still with my hand) completely stops the noise.

I've taken it out and air-blasted whatever dust I could get out of it, to no avail.
There's no easy way to expose the fan bearings (there's no apeture under the brand sticker, I checked), I haven't sprayed any lubricant in there as of yet.
The fan seems to have two positions on its spindle (axle?), as in I can push it in and pull it out about half a centimetre by hand - I'm not sure whether this is means it's damaged or whether that's just part of the design.

If anyone has any insight as to what I should do, whether there's a way of lubricating or fixing the fan or whether I need to think about replacing it, please let me know.

EDIT: Well, this thread has gotten to the point of notifying me that it's no longer active, so in the vain hope that someone who has knowledge of this topic will browse the forums in the next day or two, I'll add this paragraph and (hopefully) bump the thread.
November 29, 2011 9:19:29 PM

I have pretty much the exact same issue and if I were to write about my problem it would probably come out with even the same wording as this. Would love someone to help us out!
m
l
December 31, 2011 8:52:10 PM

Had the same problem a year ago with my HIS 5850, had it replaced under warranty. And guess what, another year later, the fan is failing on the new card. Squeaky noises and eventually grinding. All I can say is I'm never buying an HIS card ever again.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2012 12:09:29 AM

Just oil the fan bearings rather than letting them fail. What the two of you have done is like driving a car without ever changing the oil. I actually had a farmer friend that ran her ford pickup without changing the oil for a year and things didn't turn out to good.
m
l
January 1, 2012 12:43:10 AM

nforce4max said:
Just oil the fan bearings rather than letting them fail. What the two of you have done is like driving a car without ever changing the oil. I actually had a farmer friend that ran her ford pickup without changing the oil for a year and things didn't turn out to good.

I don't know how to oil the bearings, as I can't remove the fan or see the bearings on this particular card.

If you know how one would do so on my card, I'd really like to know.
m
l
January 3, 2012 4:48:49 AM

Skotavus said:
I don't know how to oil the bearings, as I can't remove the fan or see the bearings on this particular card.

If you know how one would do so on my card, I'd really like to know.

Good old WD40...it fixed mine. Get one with a bendy straw attachment.
m
l
!