Core i5 2410M getting hot during games

BlackBrigade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
hi guys,

i have a notebook with the following specs:

1. Core i5 2410M
2. GT540M graphics

now the problem is when im playing games, the fan of the CPU goes to full blast, and when im done gaming i see temps of upto 85C of both cores. not to mention that portion of the keyboard is itself warm.

because of this i have already disabled the "Turbo Boost" which overclocks it from 2.3ghz to 2.6 or 2.9ghz i dont remember, because obviously there is no point in getting that speed at 85+ temps. i used the tip where in Processor Power Management section, you click the Maximum Processor State, and change it to something other than 100%.

going back to the 2.3ghz and the 85C temps. what method can i use to lower the temps. Im playing TR Guardian of light and I its mostly the gpu that does most of the work ( not the HD3000).

should i run the game on 1 core/thread through processor affinity?
or
should i lower the clock to 1.5Ghz or something (ought to be enough).

im planning of going with lower clocks for the time being and i need an easy to use program to lower the the peak clock while enabling throttling (ie go to lowest clocks when idle)

bios has no setting for cpu multiplier (its some insyde h20 bios)

:/

cmi86

Distinguished
It's an intel, that's what they do lol. No I'm just giving you a hard time although I do see tons of posts on here about heat issues with the iX series CPU's. I would try cleaning out some of those fans on your lappy first.

suteck

Distinguished
You can try one of those notebook platforms with the cooling fans to blow more air directly on the underside where the air intake usually is, and try blowing it out of course.

BlackBrigade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
The laptop is only a month old and i have only just started gaming. It is also on a pad which has 3 fans....

also, i tried to run TR on CPU 0 and 1 (which is basically 1 core 2 threads -.- and i thought i5's was quad cores) and the temps were 75C 70C (compared to 85C 84C)

Running on only 1 thread (CPU 0) made the game slightly sluggish and I figured its using 1 core so what the heck, might has well use both threads.

I still would like to test and keep my max CPU speed to something lower and keep all cores on for a game to see whats best :/

suteck

Distinguished
Intel quotes the T-JUNCTION (temp) at 100*C so I would probably just run it full out. Depending on your notebook make and model I would look it up and see what users are saying about the heat. Do you have it plugged in while playing? Sometimes the charging adds extra heat and since it's a notebook there's not many places for it to go.

BlackBrigade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

I have figured out another way. It just happened that my power wasnt plugged in while playing Tomb Raider GOL, and when I was done playing after an hour or so, I checked the temperatures. I was surprised to see the temps at 70 and 62 for the two cores in CoreTemp, instead of the usual 85-80

The cpu was infact throttling during the game to lower the temps and avoid having the fan running at full speed. Kinda nice, since the gameplay was unaffected.

I checked under profiles (it was Balanced profile , unplugged) and there is an option for this under processor power management --> system cooling policy.

kfZpN.png

Changing it to passive (while plugged in) did not initiate the throttling effect. :(

However changing to Power Saving mode (plugged in or not) instead of Balanced mode, did achieve throttling while gaming, which kept temps lower.\o/

This is ok for Guardian of Light gaming.

For Starcraft 2 and Skyrim, however not so. Ex of Starcraft 2 .

Fraps : 60fps (Balanced Plugged in = 2.2Ghz)
Fraps : 30fps (Power Saving Mode Plugged in = 800Mhz~1.2Ghz)

The problem is it doesnt throttle to higher speeds very much (ofc since its in power saving mode) rarely going above 1Ghz even during game loading.

The only solution I see is if somehow I can fix the upper/max freq limit to 1.5-1.6Ghz.

:/

suteck

Distinguished
Next box down in maximum processor state you can lower the max cpu speed by percentages. If you have a 2.2 and set it to 50% max then it will only run at 1.1 GHz, or 75% and it should run at 1.6 GHz.

What is the brand and model of this laptop? Most laptops really don't keep things cool like they should to keep costs and the total weight down as people tend to complain greatly about weight. A cooling pad for laptops will help push temps down a little but not by much.

BlackBrigade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Bah, I was pretty sure it wasnt working as intended. But thanks for restating it.

It works. @ 80% it is 1795Mhz.

Ill play with the settings to see whats best for performance/heat.