venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
First off I just built my new rig about 2 months ago now with the following specs:
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Mobo
i7 2600K @ stock (for now)
Xigmatex Gaia 120mm Cooler w/ 2x Scythe Cooler Master 120mm Fans
2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600MHz
MSi Lightning 6970 2GB
OCZ Agility 120GB SSD
Cooler Master HAF X
Ultra 600W Modular PSU (reused)
Acer 20" 1680x1050 LCD Monitor (reused)
Fatal1ty Headset (reused)
Cheap $10 Mouse & Keyboard (reused)
Cheap $20 2.0 Speaker Config (reused)

My idea during the build was to make a good build for now but allow room for upgrades in the next 12-24 months to allow the computer to become a much more capable long-term gaming machine and more along the lines of what I wanted as a finished product. After doing some research on when newer components should come out I came up with two main upgrades and estimated times listed below:

Upgrade 1 (1-2months):
- Acer 20" 1680x1050 Monitor
+ 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600MHz
+ Good 27" LED 1080p monitor
Estimated Cost: $350

Upgrade 2 (10-12 months):
- Ultra 600W Modular PSU
- Cheap $20 2.0 Speaker Config
+ A good 850 to 1000W PSU
+ 2nd graphics card for crossfire
+ Surround Sound Speaker Config
+ Nice Keyboard & Mouse
Estimated Cost: $600

Finally, I have some concerns or rather would like some direction on said upgrades above with the following notes:
1) I am wondering if I should wait for the 7 series to come out to have a 7xxx CF with the 6970 or stick with the same card and get another 6970 after the price drop when 7 series hits the market.
2) I am wanting to know if I should prioritize these upgrades differently or get something more?

Anything would be appreciated. :D

My idea during the build was to make a good build for now but allow room for upgrades in the next 12-24 months to allow the computer to become a much more capable long-term gaming machine and more along the lines of what I wanted as a finished product.
12-24 months? Why are you looking only 2 months later then? Your system is more than capable for high-end gaming as is...

You also don't list approximate dates for the upgrade like you say you did, so I don't know when you're planning to do them.

Finally, I have some concerns or rather would like some direction on said upgrades above with the following notes:
1) I am wondering if I should wait for the 7series to come out and have a 7xxx CF with the 6970 or stick with the same card and get another 6970 before they stop distributing it.
2) This depends on Ivy's prices and performance relative to what I have already. If it is worth upgrading I will especially since this upgrade will be at least 1 YR out minimum.
3) I can see currently that a single 240GB SSD would have been a good way to go during the initial order although now im stuck. I do have a server that I use to backup data on so data loss isn't a huge concern. I have heard that windows trim function screws with RAID0 SSD setups, what is that about?

1) The 7-series is definitely worth waiting for, either because it'll be a huge performance boost or it'll lower the 6-series prices, or both. I doubt AMD will stop making the 6970s simply because they'd lose a performance tier in their overall GPU lineup. It's why Nvidia still sells the GTX 460/470/480, even though it was last year's GPU.

2) Ivy Bridge won't be a worthwhile upgrade. The i5-2500K has basically proved to the industry that CPUs are no longer the limiting factor in many applications (specifically gaming). Your gaming experience right now is limited by your GPU, so spending another $300 on a CPU isn't going to make anything better.

3) I'd just man up and buy a good hard drive. Yeah they're expensive, but a 120GB SSD is plenty for a boot drive and most programs (heck, I'm running on a 64GB). I've heard the same issues about TRIM + RAID, but I do know that RAID will be faster and require you to reinstall everything you have.

My hard drives seem faster, and I think it's because my SSD is handling all of the Windows processes and my HDD handles all my other programs' processes separately from that. I get better game loading times with my SSD + HDD setup than I did with just a HDD.

Upgrade 1:
- Ultra 600W Modular PSU
+ A good ~1000W PSU
+ 2nd graphics card for crossfire (See Note 1)
+ 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600MHz
No need for 1000W. A good 850W PSU from Seasonic, Corsair, XFX or Antec will be more than enough - 850W leaves headroom so the PSU runs between 50-80%, which is where the efficiency is highest and stress on the PSU is low.

Upgrade 2:
- Cheap $20 2.0 Speaker Config
- Acer 20" 1680x1050 LCD Monitor
- i7 2600K (See Note 2)
+Ivy Bridge i7 2600K equivalent (See Note 2)
+ Surround Sound Speaker Config
+ Nice Keyboard & Mouse
+ 2nd 120GB SSD to configure in RAID0 (See Note 3)
+ Nice 24"+ 1080p Monitor
Already said my piece about upgrading to Ivy.

However, I can't believe you're not on a 24" 1080p monitor - that'd be the first thing I'd upgrade. Get a good professional series panel like Dell, Asus, or even a high-end HP. A good keyboard/mouse will make all the difference in your everyday usage, and should make you love to use your computer, not just love the computer itself.

The only upgrade in your build is the monitor. Buy an 23'' - 24'' fullHD to benefit , and to put that 6970 to work something , because at 1680x1050 she's not stressed at all. And eventually a new PSU , like @boiler1990 a good 850W-900W for you future Crossfire.

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

I have edited the original post to closer fit to your suggestions on the monitor, SDD, and Graphics