Same old no display on a new build.

masman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Now, before you all redirect me to your very extensive guide (I went through it, 3 times), I now began following jsc's component isolation, the first section without anything other than CPU, Heatsink, PSU and Motherboard went fine, however, when I inserted the stick of RAM (Obviously turning the computer off waiting and then powering it up), Instead of the one long and two or three short beeps, I got 5 shorts, and the error code d6 on my ASRock Extreme4 970, The d6 code means "No console output devices are found". Now, I presume this is due to lack of graphics card (and on board), however, when I had the graphics card in, the same beeping and code came up. Now my question, is the graphics card faulty? (I think yes, but due to this being my first build, checking is good).

Thanks for your time :)

No. Check your monitor cables. I had one recently that was kinked so bad that I had to move it around for the monitor to display. I had to reseat the connections to the monitor and motherboard port. I assume you've already tried to reset the bios by removing the board battery with the system unplugged. Other than that, you'll have to troubleshoot by replacing parts one at a time, but you can also list your system specs which might help.

masman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I've been testing the build through a cable which I know works, also, I was trouble shooting that way, then I got the the graphics card, so I'm going to test a known good one and see what happens.

Parts list:
ASRock Extreme4 970
Gigabyte Radeon 6950 1gb
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
NZXT Hale82 650W
AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition

There's obviously a case too, but I've eliminated that as the problem by testing 2 completely different cases.

Check the output your using on the card,
my Asus 6950's will only put out to a vga screen through one certain port,
any other port (even with adaptors) and I get no picture on the vga screen, might be worth checking out,
and well done for hitting the troubleshooter thread first man, not a lot of foks do :)
Moto