First Time Build: Multimedia PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

atolnay00

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello,

I have decided to build a new pc instead of buying, to get the most for my money and have room to extend the life with upgrades. This build will be used for some basic computing and multimedia needs including: PS3 streaming, basic video/photo editing, torrents, wireless networking, maybe some light gaming (1gb card) etc.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 Month

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Surfing, Streaming movies/music, light gaming

Parts Not Required: Keyboard mouse (wireless logitech) DVD burner ( 2 yr old 12x burner) Monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, tigerdirect.
amazon

Parts Preferences: I want the PC to last for a few years so I am thinking i5 2320, 1tb, 6gb ram, nice looking case with room, a couple 3.0 usb slots,good wireless built in.

Overclocking: No (i dont think i will need)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1600x1200

Additional Comments: Thank for any assistance, i looked at buying one of the bundels from tiger direct but thought it would be a better idea to get some advice and put the build together based on that.

Solution
If you happen to live near a Microcenter, you can get a Core i5-2500k for $179.99. It is an overclockable processor, but you do not have to. It is one of the fastest out there right now as well. They also have lesser processor at better prices than most. In reality, you could probably get by with a Core i3-2100. It is a dual core that acts like a quad core due to multi-threading.

You can pair that with a low cost H-61 motherboard from either Gigabyte or ASUS since you do not plan on overclocking. Amazon has good deals on these right now.

You will also find better deals on 8gb(2x4gb) DDR3 1333 ram kits.

If you are going to do light gaming, I would forget about SLi or Crossfire. Not really worth it anyway in my opinion. A AMD HD 6770...

tlmck

Distinguished
If you happen to live near a Microcenter, you can get a Core i5-2500k for $179.99. It is an overclockable processor, but you do not have to. It is one of the fastest out there right now as well. They also have lesser processor at better prices than most. In reality, you could probably get by with a Core i3-2100. It is a dual core that acts like a quad core due to multi-threading.

You can pair that with a low cost H-61 motherboard from either Gigabyte or ASUS since you do not plan on overclocking. Amazon has good deals on these right now.

You will also find better deals on 8gb(2x4gb) DDR3 1333 ram kits.

If you are going to do light gaming, I would forget about SLi or Crossfire. Not really worth it anyway in my opinion. A AMD HD 6770 will be plenty for light to medium gaming.

The most important part will be the power supply. You need one that is at least 80plus Certified. If it is not certified, avoid it. For the rig above an Antec Earthwatts 430 will be fine, but you might wish to look at something in the 500-600 watt range in case you get a higher powered video card.

Lastly, just my two cents worth. I do not do business with Tiger Direct due to the fact that their so called "deals" tend to prey on the novice. They generally consist of older tech or substandard parts. The prices can be good, but what you get often is not.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.