PC works ok but then wont boot the next day

barrontv

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Hi
My DELL T3400 developed a strange fault. it works fine, will restart and boot after an hour switched off etc. But if its off overnight it wont boot. it hangs on the post BIOS loading screen. Nothing will get it to boot. I try removing all USB inputs etc, but nothing. I have to reinstall windows vista from DVD every few days. why will it boot when its warm but not after a few hours switched off?
Thanks
Vista 32bit, 4GB RAM

MegaMan1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

\

Brett: What if his cmos battery is low?

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
1st think you should do is to check if there is an issue with your processor overheating, check if the heatsink in place and the fan is connected, 2nd thing to do is to remove and replace the small battery on your motherboard, this will reset your bios, if all this doesn`t work try checking if you have a foulty ram, try booting with single ram stick to check if both are ok, the last thing to try is to perform a Hard drive check, you could be suffering from a corrupted partition or need a new hard drive, if you have another hard disk you can try installing windows on it but after you try all the above.

it could be your hard drive. if it a few years old the greese used to lube it can go bad. causing the drive not to spin up. next time you cold boot put your hand on the hard drive. it should spin up and stay spinning. if it dont or it spinning up and down your drive on the way out.