Sign in with
Your question

I7 2700 running way too hot

Last response: in CPUs
April 22, 2012 7:42:57 PM

I've been struggling with a new MB/CPU with regards to temperature issues. I am attempting to solve an overheating issue with a brand new I7 2700 on an Asus P8Z77-V MB. THe CPU at bios default settings runs at 40C - 57C which seems way to hot.

I am not overclocking, the CPU has the stock fan that came with it. Asus MB utilities are installed and I am running windows 7. At some point I figured I'd upgrade to a better fan/cooler setup and attempt to OC but I can't see that happening with all the issues I'm having.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

More about : 2700 running hot

a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 8:29:39 PM

Yes that's too hot at idle. I started with the stock cooler before installing the noctua nh14. My idle temps were low 30s with stock and low 20s with the noctua. Possibilities are:

- bad contact or stock fan not fully attached. This is easy with the stock fan. It is a frustrating and fiddly business attaching it to the motherboard, and whoever designed the mechanism needs shooting

- bad airflow in your case. If air doesn't get in or out, the air inside your computer will get terribly hot and incapable of cooling your CPU. The case is an important choice with high end components

- incorrect temperature readings.
m
l
a c 143 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 9:03:56 PM

bwrlane said:

- bad contact or stock fan not fully attached. This is easy with the stock fan. It is a frustrating and fiddly business attaching it to the motherboard, and whoever designed the mechanism needs shooting

Every word is so true... LOL
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 9:08:56 PM

What are load temps? Load temps are more defining than idle temps TBH. I have seen a lot of 2600Ks idle around 40c in BIOS but under load they run perfectly fin 50-65c temps.
m
l
a c 201 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 9:32:14 PM

1. Thermal paste hasn't cured yet.....run OCCT CPU tests for the 1 hr period and let cool down 3 or 4 times.....this should drop both CPU and NB / SB temps.

2. If under load temps run too high, improper installation / inadequate contact likely source.

3. Inadequate case air flow .... take off side panel and use a desktop fan to blow air inside case.....if temps change, ya found ya problem.

4. Bad readings .... make sure ya not running two monitoring software utilities at same time. I have seen peeps report CPU temperatures below their ambient temperatures :) 

I'd suggest downloading OCCT and using its built in monitoring tools.

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download
m
l
April 22, 2012 9:32:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have the case open now just to see if there is a difference and there isn't. I supposed I should button it back up to get the air flowuing...

HWInfo says Min 44 Max 58. I'm afraid to put any load to it. I tried yesterday to test and it instantly went hot fast. It hit 78 in the first 20 seconds.

I've checked the fan and am pretty sure it is making good contact but maybe I should unseat it again and remount?? I'm starting to wonder about bad sensors. I just put this together Friday and it seemed to run cool. I then went into the bios and clicked the button Asus Optimal mode in the EZ menu. This caused all hell to break loose and the temps sky rocketed. I quickly loaded back the setup defaults but it would not boot without warning about the temp. I then dowloaded and updated the bios to the latest and greatest and now no warning on boot about temp. but still running quite hot, and this is after flashing the bios, then clearing with jumper and booting with default settings.

It has to be a bad sensor(s) (they all run hot) or bad fan, right? I guess I replace / re-seat the fan and if it's still hot, I ignore?

BTW, when it was overheating with the original bios, I shot the heat sink on the fdan with a heat gun and it never registered hotter than 38 - 40 c I know that isn't the cpu temp but maybe that tells me it isn't on correctly?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 9:44:30 PM

There are some bad answers here.

Those temps are fine you need to calm down because you basically cannot hurt that cpu at stock setting. Put everything together and run a stress test and report back with results.

Btw the bios temps are not idle temps. There is a load on the cpu while in the bios which is why your getting those temps
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 9:51:11 PM

Quote:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

ok enough comedy . .
Quote:
I then went into the bios and clicked the button Asus Optimal mode in the EZ menu. This caused all hell to break loose and the temps sky rocketed.

chances are your voltage for your cpu is waaaaay too high. the Asus Optimal will do that. AFTER you reseat the heat sink. reset you cpu to stock settings and start your overclock MANUALLY.

edited after i pulled head out and seen it is NOT a "K" chip.
m
l
April 22, 2012 9:55:52 PM

Ok, I can do that.

When the bios starts beeping, and the boot stops because of thermal warning I kinda freak out. If you're saying to ignore that and run the test, I might need a little more convincing though.

With a large window fan ( guessing 16 inches ) point directly into the case, my avg temp in windows is 48 - 52. So placing the fan next to the case helped lower that a few degress celcius, but not to where I would expect a stock rig to be.

The MB did cool dramatically as you might guess. (It went down 7 to 27)

So I need a little bit more advie if you all wouldn't mind.

A) Run out and buy a fan, a real one (taking into account the large fan pointed at the case lowered it 2 - 3 degrees)

B) Return all of the parts (if I can) to the store and grab another setup

C) Run the tests that some have suggested and see where it's at afterwards (I can do this but I'm not sure what that buys me since I'vce left it on for the past two days and played several games and / video benchmarks. I know, I know it's not the same as directly stressing the cpu especially when the GPU does most of the work. )

D) Any other suggestion

Also want to thank all of you. I appreciate the help. I was heavy into computers 8 years or so ago but kinda fell out for a bit. Jumped back in with this rig. Kinda reminds me why I stopped :p 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 10:05:23 PM

Quote:
D) Any other suggestion

Well, you can try a good aftermarket cooler. That would rule out the stock one (and the stupid pin design that holds it in) being the problem. I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper-212 Evo. I just got one myself, and it's awesome for the price.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 10:07:50 PM

if your freaked about booting . .unplug the computer and take out the CMOS battery for a few minutes. this will reset the bios to defaults. (unless your board has a handy "reset CMOS" button)
if i read your post correctly; everything was fine then, right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 10:16:58 PM

the CPU has the stock fan that came with it.

Dude, do yourself a favour, and for the price of a couple coffee's get yourself a..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

No more worrying. And yes, for STOCK cooler, your temps are absolutely fine, you have 4 frickin' cores, you can't expect it to run cool.. 70Deg under stock and load is just gravy.
m
l
April 22, 2012 10:20:15 PM

I'm going out to buy a fan to be sure. It's cheap insurance and I'll know where I stand. I'm not so sure 76 C is "absolutely fine". But maybe it is. I freaked cuz the boot stopped due to temp warning
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 10:58:45 PM

http://www.overclock.net/t/1178307/is-the-i7-2600k-max-...

Same issue, stock cooler with I7. Same temperatures! 72.6 appears to be max safe operating temperatures for that CPU and it stands to reason that would also be what the stock cooler cools it at, I mean..

They want you to buy a new CPU in a few years.
And why would they really care you can't overclock on the stock cooler?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2012 11:19:00 PM

teh_gerbil said:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1178307/is-the-i7-2600k-max-...

Same issue, stock cooler with I7. Same temperatures! 72.6 appears to be max safe operating temperatures for that CPU and it stands to reason that would also be what the stock cooler cools it at, I mean..

They want you to buy a new CPU in a few years.
And why would they really care you can't overclock on the stock cooler?

you may be Technically right idk but you can run them hotter then 72.6c. anything over 80*c for a long time then your looking for a little bit of trouble but its the voltage that will cause the harm. keep it below 1.4
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
April 22, 2012 11:38:33 PM

Anonymous said:
Quote:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

ok enough comedy . .
Quote:
I then went into the bios and clicked the button Asus Optimal mode in the EZ menu. This caused all hell to break loose and the temps sky rocketed.

chances are your voltage for your cpu is waaaaay too high. the Asus Optimal will do that. AFTER you reseat the heat sink. reset you cpu to stock settings and start your overclock MANUALLY.

edited after i pulled head out and seen it is NOT a "K" chip.

He forgot the K. There is no I7 2700, only the i7 2700K.
m
l
April 24, 2012 10:32:57 PM

HOORAY!!!!!
So I thought to myself, very rarely have I heard of a bad box cpu, but I had heard of unstable or broken MOBOs. So I went back and after confirning I could bring both or one back, depending on the results, bought the P8Z68-V.

I took it home and put that sucker on it with the very same stock fan. I am now able to put load to the CPU and the temp never get's above 65 in extreme conditions. At idle, get this, it's running 15, yes 15 degrees cooler at 21.

With the new piped fan I bought it's currently running at 4.2 Ghz with an idle temp of between 38 - 43. What a diference.

Thanks to all who posted, you sent me in the right direction for the most part and prevented me from making mistakes that would have only made matters much worse.

Maybe I just got a bad board or those new ones aren't stable yet, (P8Z77-V) I don't know, but I am extremely happy with the I7 2700K and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for some speed.

Thanks for the help!
Chris
m
l
!