Sign in with
Your question
Closed

$500 budget i3 possible with OS included?

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2012 4:52:06 PM

I had posted a new build req. yesterday for a build for my aunt, however she upped the budget to $500. I wasn't sure if I should post in the orig. thread or start a new one with the new budget so here goes. Mods feel free to move it.

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $500 or less INCLUDING WINDOWS 7 PLEASE

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Internet, email, facebook games (farmville etc), possibly streaming HD content

Parts Not Required: KB, Mouse, Monitor (I think it's 1280x1024)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, maybe tigerdirect (never bought anything from them before)

Parts Preferences: If I can squeeze an i3 sandybridge in this build at budget that would be awesome, otherwise AMD. Antec for the PSU and I'd prefer ASUS or Asrock for the mobo as they're the only brands I've used so far, but if not, so be it.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: Guessing 1280x1024, she has a 7 yr old monitor that she said is flat screen from a Sony Vaio

Additional Comments: This needs to have the OS included in the price. A hard drive is also req'd which makes this build very difficult at their obscenely overpriced point right now. I told her that maybe Dell/Gateway might be a good option for her, but she doesn't want to go that route because of the lack of upgradability later on, so this build should hopefully have an upgrade path for her.

Thanks.

More about : 500 budget included

January 10, 2012 5:25:50 PM

Here's a build with some good discounts:

$492 before promo codes (Must be a newegg eblast subscriber), MIR, and shipping

GIGABYTE ATX Mid Tower Computer Case : $20

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500: $30 after promo code "EMCNJJN29" and $20 MIR (good PSU at a great price!)

ASUS P8H61-M LX: $65

Intel Core i3-2100: $125

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB): $19

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM: $85

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner: $18

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM: $90 with promo code "EMCNJJN28"
Score
January 10, 2012 6:10:49 PM

This looks like an awesome build. Just what I'm looking for!
Score
Related resources
January 10, 2012 6:24:53 PM

I don't see a graphics card in the build, but if I remember right, the i3 should be plenty capable of running the games she plays and possibly hd streaming right?
Score

Best solution

January 10, 2012 6:33:55 PM

Great build for under $500.

You can also go to Staples and get a Lenovo Desktop that has 8GB memory,
and an i3-2120 Processor (slightly faster than the 2100) for $450.
So unless you are itching to build a PC, you can always pick that up for a little bit cheaper.
January 10, 2012 7:02:51 PM

Unless you have left-over parts from an old machine, you may want to look for something like the Lenovo suggested above. You can save time required for building one, as well as money for Windows 7 and HDD. It seems that in low-budget PC, there are slightly better option in pre-built systems than in mid to high-budget PCs.

I built mine mostly because I had available HDD, Windows 7, CPU cooler, and a graphics card from the old one, although the graphic card has been upgraded now to play DX11 games. With these parts, I spent about $400 (excluding later-upgraded graphics) for a decent i5 2400/H67/8GB/500GB systems. Without the graphics card,integrated graphics can still play streaming video @1080p, and play many games in mid settings. I guess i3 is not that a big difference here.
Score
January 10, 2012 7:35:02 PM

MKBL said:
Unless you have left-over parts from an old machine, you may want to look for something like the Lenovo suggested above. You can save time required for building one, as well as money for Windows 7 and HDD. It seems that in low-budget PC, there are slightly better option in pre-built systems than in mid to high-budget PCs.

I built mine mostly because I had available HDD, Windows 7, CPU cooler, and a graphics card from the old one, although the graphic card has been upgraded now to play DX11 games. With these parts, I spent about $400 (excluding later-upgraded graphics) for a decent i5 2400/H67/8GB/500GB systems. Without the graphics card,integrated graphics can still play streaming video @1080p, and play many games in mid settings. I guess i3 is not that a big difference here.

This is what I thought as well. She really wanted something in the $400 range initially, but it just couldn't be done with the cost of an OS and all new parts, especially hds. I sent her the link for the Lenovo, which I think would be better for her needs, even though I really want to build one for her.
Score
January 10, 2012 8:07:48 PM

I am slowly getting the pieces together for my build; but I don't expect to under cut that Lenovo. My expectations are too nearly match the specs, but with higher quality parts. I feel that after the tax on the Lenovo at Staples, I will be near even.

I think that down the line, going with my own build will be worthwhile.
I can upgrade to a video card in my custom build because I got a PSU that has a high enough wattage for one, whereas with the Lenovo I will probably need to upgrade the PSU
Score
January 10, 2012 8:44:14 PM

SingingThroughTheStorm said:
I am slowly getting the pieces together for my build; but I don't expect to under cut that Lenovo. My expectations are too nearly match the specs, but with higher quality parts. I feel that after the tax on the Lenovo at Staples, I will be near even.

I think that down the line, going with my own build will be worthwhile.
I can upgrade to a video card in my custom build because I got a PSU that has a high enough wattage for one, whereas with the Lenovo I will probably need to upgrade the PSU

This is what I explained to my aunt, but in all reality, I don't think she is going to want to upgrade anything in. Her last PC is a 7 year old Sony that she's still rocking, albeit slowly, hence the need for a new pc. I would choose the build recommended above if I were building it for me just so I know exactly what's in it and know what I can upgrade.
Score
January 11, 2012 1:39:54 PM

Best answer selected by thestrangebrew.
Score
January 11, 2012 1:41:26 PM

SingingThroughTheStorm said:
Great build for under $500.

You can also go to Staples and get a Lenovo Desktop that has 8GB memory,
and an i3-2120 Processor (slightly faster than the 2100) for $450.
So unless you are itching to build a PC, you can always pick that up for a little bit cheaper.

I convinced my aunt to go with this. Given she won't be doing any hardcore gaming and won't be swapping out parts anytime soon, I fig'd this would be the best option for her. It's almost exactly like the build suggested, a few better parts and $50 cheaper just about so I don't think she'll go wrong going this route. Thanks for the find!
Score
!