Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

6970x2 vs GTX590

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 12, 2011 7:27:30 PM

With black friday fast approaching I am heavily considering whether or not to sell my 6970 (almost new) and fork out the dough on a GTX590, or go ahead and pick up another 6970.

Naturally, anyone who knows anything about gaming would say pick up another 6970, but here is the thing...

My PSU is only 650W. It is an excellent PSU in terms of brand and quality, but it will not be able 6970x2 at factory clocked - no way no how.

So if I upgrade to the crossfire 6970, it is a new PSU for me.

If I go with a 590, my PSU can handle it (barely).

Any advice?

More about : 6970x2 gtx590

a c 88 U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 8:24:36 PM

You will need a minimum of 700W for the 590.
I'm not 100% it would work with your PSU, its really up to you if you want to risk it, but then again you might be able to get away with it.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 8:59:53 PM

PCgamer81 said:
With black friday fast approaching I am heavily considering whether or not to sell my 6970 (almost new) and fork out the dough on a GTX590, or go ahead and pick up another 6970.

Naturally, anyone who knows anything about gaming would say pick up another 6970, but here is the thing...

My PSU is only 650W. It is an excellent PSU in terms of brand and quality, but it will not be able 6970x2 at factory clocked - no way no how.

So if I upgrade to the crossfire 6970, it is a new PSU for me.

If I go with a 590, my PSU can handle it (barely).

Any advice?


What's your psu's brand? It all depends if there's enough amps on the 12v rail.
If it does - it should be able to run your system un-overclocked.
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 9:21:30 PM

You have 54amps on your 12v rail. That's plenty - it's also a well known brand. I'm 99.99% sure you'll be able to do it.
Al-though it will shorten the life of your psu...
Score
0
a c 88 U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 9:25:51 PM

Go ahead and get the GTX 590 , its average power consumption while gaming with Metro is approx 437.27 W
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 9:34:13 PM

I put in your system specs into the eXtreme power supply calculator. Link: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
It came to be around 605 watts. But that includes variables.... So keep that in mind.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 9:59:16 PM

Why not add a 6950 unlock it and then crossfire it?

Does that psu have 4 connectors for two Gpus?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 10:03:16 PM

gnomio said:
Why not add a 6950 unlock it and then crossfire it?

Does that psu have 4 connectors for two Gpus?

This is another reason why i say 590.
Also, when i did the calculations for both cards, the 6970 came out to be more than his psu could probably handle....
Score
0
a c 88 U Graphics card
November 12, 2011 10:08:05 PM

I would stick to the 590, it stays within his power requirements, I would'nt push his psu more by adding another 6970
Score
0
November 12, 2011 10:25:58 PM

Yeah, thanks guys.

I cannot handle another 6970 that is the reason for my dilemma. Everything else on my rig is xfire ready, but my PSU is weak - I am kicking myself for not going with the 900w like I almost did.

I had so much rather grab another 6970. And while the extra money on a new PSU is not something I would be happy about, it is the work that changing out a PSU would require that is causing me to go the 590 route.

I am hoping the 590 puts me over the edge. I feel my rig is pretty powerful, but I feel I need just a little bit more...umph.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 143 U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 12:28:55 AM

HD 6970s in CF are a better value than a single GTX 590 or HD 6990, the CF scaling gives a better performance in all benchmarks






GTX 590 or HD 6990 are known for heat and noise issues, I would say get a 750W PSU and CF the HD 6970s.
Share
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 1:35:36 AM

whats your native resolution. I still say get two 6950 and unlock them to 6970s. The twin Fozr has a high unlocking rate as well
Score
0
November 13, 2011 4:13:05 PM

gnomio said:
whats your native resolution. I still say get two 6950 and unlock them to 6970s. The twin Fozr has a high unlocking rate as well


1920x1080

You cannot flash the the new 6950s like you could the old ones - at least as for as I know.
Score
0
November 14, 2011 2:39:40 AM

Best answer selected by PcGamer81.
Score
0
November 14, 2011 2:39:57 AM


I will probably wait and do that.
Score
0
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 2:40:41 AM

Good luck then.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 4:59:20 PM


Better performance yes but micro-stuttering is still an issue. (This is also the case with the 590).
Now that i think about it, my suggestion for the OP... Is to get the 580 - fastest single card available currently; It can handle 1080p like a champ and gives you time to save up for the awesome cards coming out.
Think about it...
Score
0
November 15, 2011 2:14:18 AM

Djentleman said:
Better performance yes but micro-stuttering is still an issue. (This is also the case with the 590).
Now that i think about it, my suggestion for the OP... Is to get the 580 - fastest single card available currently; It can handle 1080p like a champ and gives you time to save up for the awesome cards coming out.
Think about it...


Is there enough of an increase over the 6970 to warrant going through the trouble, not to mention selling my 6970 for half what I paid for it?

If there is, then I would do it. But I just hate to go through all that trouble when I already have a single card.
Score
0
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 15, 2011 2:33:07 AM

Microstuttering is known with low end GPUs in CF/SLI, the issue is barely noticeable with high end GPUs starting from HD 6950/GTX 560ti, the issue like never existed with 3-way CF/SLI.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2011 4:00:45 AM

I'm guessing you didn't intend to CF when you got the 650w PSU? :) 
Score
0
November 15, 2011 9:05:22 AM

well I've been doing alot of research into 3d, and as best as I can tell nvidia is doing everything they can to make there 3dvision work with as little equipment as they can. alot of the monitors, and almost all of the 3dtvs wont work with 3d vision. Sad really here I am trying to stay with nvidia and there doing everything they can to make it impossible.
Score
0
November 15, 2011 10:15:41 AM

gmcizzle said:
I'm guessing you didn't intend to CF when you got the 650w PSU? :) 


My last PC was an HP factory desktop with a graphics upgrade, therefore I had to build from scratch. I had $1500 to use.

I had a 21'' 1680x1050 monitor, and my mouse and keyboard were wireless HP pieces of shite.

I had to shell out 200$ on my ASUS 24'' 1920x1080 monitor I am using now, and another 180$ on my gaming mouse and keyboard.

I had to spend 100$ on an OS - Windows 7.

I had about 1000$ left.

i5 2500k - 200$
Sapphire HD 6970 - 350$
asus p8z68-v pro -180$
8GB DDR3 - 50$
1TB HDD - 50$
Cooler Master Case - 50$
Extra fans - 20$
DVDD - 20$
That left about 80$-100$ for a decent PSU

Yes, I knew about CF, but my first priority was building it.

Considering that I had to start from scratch, I think I did excellent considering what little I had to work with.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2011 12:01:12 PM

PCgamer81 said:
1920x1080

You cannot flash the the new 6950s like you could the old ones - at least as for as I know.

yes you can. The twin Fozr and the Toxic does
Score
0
November 15, 2011 12:27:10 PM

gnomio said:
yes you can. The twin Fozr and the Toxic does


Would a flashed 6950 be x-compatible with a true 6970? Or would the true 6970 default to a 6950?
Score
0
!