32gb ... big mistake??

u2vini

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Hi,

I recently bought the Corsair Vengeance 32gb kit (4x8gb); not sure why, i just let myself go and got it. :)

I mainly play games and i believe (i may be wrong) that no game will use 32gb (dont think they will even use 16gb) :)

Now, i read about Ramcache, is there any free good app? i was told Windows 7 manager very well the memory, so going to an app to manage it may degrade it performance?

Any comments would be appreciated :) (you can think for yourself, what a moron, but please dont type it) :)

Vini

Create a RAM disk as stated. You really only need 8GB of memory for gaming and for the most part just 4GB.

Create the RAM disk and install your favorite games on the RAM disk and keep them backed up on your storage drive just in-case. I have heard that using RAM disk my slow down boot up because the system needs to load all of the files into memory. Other then that RAM disk are awesome and extremely fast. Load times will be SSD speeds.

Hope this helps.
:bounce:

u2vini

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
im not sure i would like to go wih RamDisk, everything seems too volatile for my taste :)

Maybe RamCache is my option... i will check both Jkhoward.

Ikes9711, windows 7 manager., did you mean the one from yamicsoft? (i google it) or just the windows manager itself?

u2vini

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007

nah, i know it wont hurt... i was "over reacting" :)

are you using ram cache? or something specific?

I've tried the ramdisk method with 1 game before, so it's not a set in stone benchmark or a blanket statement that ramdisks don't help, just my experience on my setup with 1 game.

I did a few time tests and noticed no real difference between loading the game from ramdisk or from the hard drive. Reason being, at I think, is that Windows 7 caches does a good job of preloading commonly loaded things, in particular the game I play every day. The ramdisk was a bit faster at the start, but once I played a level, there wasn't a huge load time or anything because windows already started using my RAM to cache most used files.

Other experience may vary.

Windows will use spare system memory as a disk and application cache. When memory is needed for another application, it will simply shrink the size of the cache accordingly. It's quite efficient and there's no need to run another app or make a RAMDisk.

u2vini

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007

What about ram cache? would that help windows already good management?

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

I've made the mistake in the past by not getting enough--not enough memory, not enough power, not enough GPU, ... you name it. With my latest rig, I just decided to max out some things within my budget and to put together the most balanced computer and minimizing bottlenecks. RAM is cheap, so I maxed it out. I'll experiment with a RAM disk sometime soon just to see how fast it will run.

-------------
i7 3770K OC @ 4.2Ghz / ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 / evga FTW 670 2X-SLI / 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 / 128 GB OCZ Vertex 4 / 2 TB WD Caviar Black / 2 TB Seagate Barracuda / Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System / LG 14X Blu-ray R/W / Corsair 1000w PS / AzzA Genesis 9000 full tower / Windows 7 Professional 64 / 144hz 1ms 24-inch Asus monitor

TRENDING THREADS