Sign in with
Your question

New *quiet* Video/Audio/Photo editing rig

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2012 8:21:48 PM

It's been a minute since I put together a new rig. Sadly, my i7 920 and 4870x2 machine is riddled with blue screens and errors, and I'm pretty sure the 4870x2 never ran on both GPUS anyways, so it's time for a new machine.

My tastes have evolved, and where I used to be a hardcore gamer, these days I just want to be able to enjoy my hobbies. I play guitar and sing, I do photography, and I'd really like to get into some videography. That means I need to be able to edit video.

My laptop is great, it's got 12 hour battery life with a quick Core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram, and Nvidia g210 graphics. It's fine for (very) light gaming, surfing the web, and toting around just about anywhere. However, when each of my photos is between 20-30MB and each of my videos is over 1.5gb, I need something with a little more OOMPH to make video/photo/audio editing a smooth, clean experience.

I already have: Case, 850w PSU, DVDrw drive, HDDs.
I need: Mobo, CPU, VGA, RAM, Windows (AND FOR IT TO BE QUIET FOR AUDIO RECORDINGS!)

right now the cart I'm looking at for $700 includes...
Asus M5A97 - $99
AMD FX 8120 - $199
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS $249
Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4GB @ 1600MHz) DDR3 -$49
Win 7 64 OEM - $99

Does anyone have a better recommendation for VIDEO AND PHOTO EDITING that would keep me under $750 or so?

Thanks for the help :) 

Approximate Purchase Date:This week is very possible!

Budget Range:600-750(If parts available on amazon)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, photo editing, audio editing, gaming, web surfing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Case, PSU(750w), HDDs(sata 3.0gb/s), DVDrw, Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon

Parts Preferences:by brand or type : Preferably reputable brands ;-)

Overclocking: Potentially, but probably not.

SLI or Crossfire: Doubt it'll be necessary

Monitor Resolution: Already have one.

Additional Comments: Quiet would be nice, when it comes to audio recording.
January 11, 2012 9:19:17 AM

Hello drzenitram;

Your upgraded PC will likely be as 'quiet' as it is now. Nothing in your upgrade list will substantially contribute to making the whole system quieter.

Is your current system performing well enough for your photo and video editing (when it's running)? I think a test run with a new video card is probably in order before you spend more than you need.

m
l
January 11, 2012 9:26:32 AM

Benchmark comparison between Core i7-920 (2.66GHz) and FX 8150 (3.6GHz) suggests to me that an upgrade with the 3.1Ghz FX-8120 is going to be a 'sideways' upgrade. You'd expect to get a LOT better performance for spending $700.

m
l
!