How to move programs from one harddrive to another

kwsea2012

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
My C: disk is running seriously low on disk space. I have purchased an external hard drive G: and have been moving files etc. It is not correcting the issue on the C: disk. How can I move programs from C: to G:? I don't think I want to completely remove some of these programs. I am not computer savvy so need help! Thank you, k

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
That's what I was wondering too. I'm doing a new build for my dad who is an accountant and I was wondering if I could physically move programs like Peach Tree and Quick Books from the old PATA HDD to his new SATA HDD.

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
jimmysmittys method has worked for me two times. Moving from one internal drive to another internal drive. clone C to G. remove C. In Bios make the originally G port, C boot drive. It worked for me but I don't have complicated programs either. The next time I did it, I went from a HD to SSD with no issues at all. Your mileage may vary. The OS may not like it either. Do no erase the old C until you are sure the new C works.
Moving programs to an external HD like you indicate scares me. I'm suspicious that moving newer,protected programs to different computers would even work. I never tried it. I only use externals for backup/data.