Gamespot & Blockbuster

Hi all, altough I think Gamespot doesn't have here a high credibility
about their reviews and scores, I trust them pretty much because at the
end I normally agree with them.
But I'm worried about a tendency in the last time, when some games I
was looking for reviews were qualified as simply 'good' or 'mediocre'
and only 'suitable for rental', and casualy there are Blockbuster ads
that urge you to rent this games!

Destroy All Humans! review 7.5 (good):
'Though perhaps that isn't enough to make the game worth its full retail
price tag, games don't come much more suitable for rental purposes than
Destroy All Humans!.'
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/destroyallhumans/review.html

Fantastic 4 review 5.8 (mediocre):
'If you're really into the movie or the comic and can look past drab
environments and controls that aren't as crisp as they should be, then
Fantastic 4 might be worth a rent, but not much more.'
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/fantasticfour/review.html

It seems at least odd to me. I don't know if money paid reviews in
these cases. What do you thing? Is there anybody that played this games
and agree with the 'rental' advice?

Thanks.

Our magazine doesn't run Blockbuster ads, but we still occassionally
recommend games as a rental. So I don't automatically think that money
has anything to do with it.

Think of it this way--as a reviewer, you give your opinion as to
whether a game is excellent, average, or poor. Poor games aren't worth
a purchase at any price. Excellent games are always worth it (assuming
that the price is the typical $39-49 for new games). For
average/mediocre games, however, price can be a factor. You might
still have a little fun playing Fantastic Four, but is that fun worth
$49? Probably not. Would a medicore game be worth $29 or $19? Maybe,
depending upon the game and the consumer (Batman fans, for example,
might like Batman Begins more than the average gamer).

Would a mediocre/average game be worth an $8 rental? In my opinion, if
there is anything fun about a game at all, it is always worth a rental.

"Matamanolos" wrote in message
> these cases. What do you thing? Is there anybody that played this games
> and agree with the 'rental' advice?
>
> Thanks.

I recently bought "Destroy All Humans", which I'm currently 60-plus percent
through, but would agree with their "rental advice" for this game.

For me, it was worth $50 to own DAH now (instead of $40 or $30, which I see
it dropping to sooner than later) but can see how many (as the reviews also
state) will find the gameplay falling short. I love the whole B-movie,
1950's, tone of the game and the graphics/sound compliment it very well, but
the gameplay is a little hollow. A lot of repetition. The later mission
gameplay which I'm in now, are mainly just about "throwing more at you" than
previous missions. Even completly destroying entire cities becomes "boring"
after the first half dozen times you have done it. (Perhaps they give you
too much devestating firepower early into the game, I don't know.)

Cheers,
-E

Eras wrote:
> I recently bought "Destroy All Humans", which I'm currently 60-plus percent
> through, but would agree with their "rental advice" for this game.
<snip>

Thank you, and thanks to Android66.
In the reviews of both games, Gamespot gives clear details as why they
suggest rental. Maybe I'm becoming paranoid and it was just a coincidence.

Cheers to you!