Noob number 999,999..... step right up!

Gritz910

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Doing my first pc build, and think I made a big mistake... (Happens to everyone I guess)..

Cooler master elite 120 case
Core I3 3220
8gb ram corsair vengeance
Sammy 840 120gb ssd
Cooler master 500w
Ga-b75m-3dh lga 1155 motherboard
Sapphire hd7850 2gb

That motherboard won't fit that case will it?

Solution
D
Well I learn something everyday. The i3 Ivy Bridge processors don't support PCI-E 3.0. Only i5 and i7 processors do. It's no big deal though as I stated above you will lose nothing from an HD 7850 running it in a PCI-E 2.0 slot.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65693/Intel-Core-i3-3220-Processor-(3M-Cache-3_30-GHz)

PCI Express Revision
D

Deleted member 217926

And your power supply to something not Coolermaster. Especially since I suspect it's an Extreme Power Plus. A Corsair CX is just as cheap and can actually put out it's rated voltage. Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec for quality.

D

Deleted member 217926

If you have not ordered yet just change your order. If you already have the parts look into the return policy of wherever you bought from.

D

Deleted member 217926

I always just use onboard networking. You don't really gain much from aftermarket in most cases. What do you need a wireless router? I am still using an old Linksys WRT 54 GL. It's old but the WRT 54 series are about the most solid routers ever built.

Gritz910

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

I wasn't aware that my motherboard had networking? Last desktop pc I had was in 2003 when you needed a network card... Lol. Thanks.

drstrangeluv

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I pretty much just did the same build as you. I went with the gigabyte z77n-wifi mobo because its for mini itx and has built in wifi. Microcenter has some good combo deals if u buy mobo and cpu together. I also went with a 600w power source, i think you'll be pushing it with 500w.

My advice for the cooler master case: i added an extra 120mm fan in the case, i also cut out that brushed metal plate in the front to allow more airflow. I also reversed the side 80mm fan so id have some exhaust. Great little case on the whole, make sure u take ur time going in.

Gritz910

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

I ended up canceling my cooler master 120 case order and going with a cooler master 343 because my motherboard is m-atx. You think a cx430 won't be enough power for my setup?

D

Deleted member 217926

A Corsair 430CX is plenty for an HD 7850. Proof?

Here is the entire system pulling 256 watts under load.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_hd_7850_and_7870_review,7.html

"Our test system is based on a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 system. This setup is overclocked to 3.75 GHz. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results). On average we are using roughly 50W to 100 Watts more than a standard PC due to higher CPU clock settings, water-cooling, additional cold cathode lights etc."

Most people believe a modern computer needs way more power than it actually does. Of course if you use a low quality power supply then going with something marked 600 watts might make sense because a junk power supply can't put out it's rated voltage. Some people just make up numbers they think sound good too ;)

Gritz910

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Cool, so in the future if I want to up grade to I5 or i7 I won't have to change power supply. I'm planning on keeping my system for 3 to 4 yrs. before I do a full build again.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 217926

No, a new processor will not use anywhere near enough power to make you upgrade your power supply. Your i3 3220 is a 55w TDP chip. Both the 15 3750K and the i7 3770K are 77w TDP chips. The i7 965 listed in the above review is an older 130w TDP product. The newer the processor the less power it uses. At least with Intel. The AMD FX series suck power like crazy.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Not sure about the case but the power supply may be somewhat lacking and a cx430 is not going to make the grade, either. A 500 watt PSU is required for the video card, with 1 X 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required.

■Certified power supplies are recommended. Please refer to: http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Pages/listing.aspx

I'd suggest a 650 watt minimum PSU however should you upgrade in the future, you will also have to upgrade the PSU to match your hardware. The total power input of all of your hardware combined should equate to 80 % of the total power of the PSU so that you are not running at peak power all of the time and that there is a surplus of power should it be required.

If you are considering Windows 7 x4 or later then an i5 would better suit you, as well as the video card.

The video card is way too advanced for the i3 and you should consider a lesser model to suit the lesser motherboard. Also, the video card requires PCIe 3.0 and an i3 motherboard is not likely to have that feature so the video card will perform at a much lower rate, if at all.

Gritz910

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
My i3 will only be 55w under full load and the 7850 around 115w all things considered my total system should be around 205w- to 215w under full load right?

The motherboard I ordered does support PCIe 3.0.

From my research most people are running most if not all games at high or ultra setting with this setup. 1080p at high setting 35-40fps is pretty good for a buget build. I really only wanted to spend $600 but ended up around $700 shipping included.

D

Deleted member 217926

^
One of those people who either don't understand power requirements or just makes up numbers. You do realize any single GPU will run just fine with a quality 550w power supply right? Even the GTX Titan at $1000 only needs a recommended 600 watts.

Also an HD 7850 is too much for an i3? :ange: Alrighty then. The rule of thumb for a gaming computer is to spend twice as much on the GPU as the CPU. The i3 /HD 7850 is very nicely balanced.

Also, the video card requires PCIe 3.0 and an i3 motherboard is not likely to have that feature

You should just stop now before people start to think you might be an idiot......It's an Ivy Bridge CPU......there is no such thing as an i3 motherboard. Only chipsets that support LGA 1155. Not that running in a PCI-E 2.0 slot would bottleneck an HD 7850 AT ALL!.

GA-B75M-D3H

"•All new design of Ultra Durable 4 classic
•Supports 3rd Gen. Intel® 22nm CPUs and 2nd Gen. Intel® Core™ CPUs (LGA1155 socket)
•Dual UEFI BIOS protection with 3TB+ HDD boot up capability
•PCI Express Gen 3.0 support
•Industry's Leading All Japanese Solid Capacitor Design
•GIGABYTE 333™ Onboard Acceleration (USB 3.0, SATA 3.0 & 3x USB Power)
•2-way CrossFireX™ multi-GPU support
•HDMI/ DVI interface for smoother HD video playback
•GIGABYTE On/Off Charge™ for USB devices"

Stick to giving "advice" on subjects you know something about.

D

Deleted member 217926

I generally use the OEM Asus drives on newegg for around $20. They always last forever.

+ motherboard, hard disk, cdrom, fans etc.

I would add about 20% to that so around 260w. Still well within 430w.
About 60.5% capacity.

drstrangeluv

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
What everyone is assuming here though is that the wattage displayed on the PSU is the wattage your getting. Obviously a 430 watt PSU is not going to output a full 430 watts. Given the quality of certain PSU makers, I've heard the actual wattage could be as low as 100 watts less than what's written on the box. If you guys want to get a 430w for a system that will be close to 300w, by all means try it out. Me? I like the headroom a 600w PSU gives me.

D

Deleted member 217926

And you obviously do not understand that not all power supplies are created equal. If you buy some junk Coolmax or Rocketfish or even Thermaltake or Coolermaster then no you will not get the rated wattage. However by sticking to quality brands like Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec not only do you get a unit that will output what it's rated, in most cases these quality units can safely put out up to several hundred watts over what they are listed at. A quality unit will always produce most of it's listed power on the 12v rail.

For instance the high quality Corsair 750TX makes 62 amps for 744 watts on the 12v rail alone.
The crap quality Ultra LSP 750 makes 45 amps for 540watts on the 12v rail.
Both are "750w" power supplies but they are not equal.

So what you buy matters. The reason AMD and Nvidia list their power recommendations so high is most people have crap power supplies. Your unnamed 600w power supply may very well not put out as much useable, real power as a high quality 400w unit or even less. No one was assuming anything. A quality unit was recommended from the first.

Gritz910

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Guys I would like to think everyone for the help, I got my pc up and running today so far so good. Tried a couple of games all at max and my rig took it like a champ. My windows score ended being 7.2, sorta weird because everything but the CPU was rated at 7.9 or 7.6. Either way I'm a happy desktop owner. I had a couple issues with steam nothing serious. When I first tried to install windows it wouldn't because my hard drive was gpt or something, but I did a google search and corrected the issue.