5770 temperature issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishu161

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Hi!

My msi 5770 just came back from RMA a few days ago. The problem at the time was that the computer didn't start when I plugged in the card. So I gave it to service center, and just got it back(the same card) a couple days ago.

Now I'm having an entirely different problem. My card used to stay at 52 C on idle, and I can't remember it ever crossing 90 C on full load. But now it's anywhere between 69 C and 80 C on idle and crossing 100 on full load. :(

I also noticed that I can't really control my card's fan speed with afterburner. I've currently cranked the fan speed to 91 %, and GPUZ also shows the same thing, but in my GPU temp windows gadget, the speed stays around 300-400 rpm. During full load, when normally the speed should be around 1000+ rpm, it still stays below 600.

Help! :)

Edit: It's getting worse. 85 C at Idle, and the fan speed stays at 160 RPM. :ouch: I'm getting worried.

Solution
hmm my 24hours pc has 5770 but temp between 41~60C with cooler master HAF case.
Clean some dust and put some more fan's in your case will be very helpful.

ishu161

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I'm pretty sure now that the issue is with the fan. I've set the fan speed in msi Afterburner to about 91, so it should be at a high speed all the time, right? It's not.

Even when the temperature was about 90 C, it was rotating at only about 150 rpm. I had to take the card out when it reached 100 C (at 0% GPU load!).

What case are you running?

ishu161

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I solved the problem!

I brought a friend over, and it turns out that my fan was moving very slowly, it was almost jammed, you might say. So we attached another fan on top of the card fan, and fixed it with zip ties.

46 C!! Worked like a charm. :D

Anyhow, we decided that it might be best to turn off the card fan entirely because it was moving very slowly(10-15 rpm). So now there is another fan on top of the stock card fan, cooling the card, and on 100 % load stability test with Kombustor, the temp doesn't goes over 85 C.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.