What do you think of this build?

Coltin

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I just need a motherboard, processor and RAM.

Approximate Purchase Date: Whenever, no rush. Preferably soon :)

Budget Range:

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Playing games and streaming them online. (Not watching streams)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitors, hard drives, power supply, or case.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anywhere but NCIX, must ship to Canada

Parts Preferences: See below

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, both (no crossfire/sli now, but maybe in the future)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

Parts I'm bringing over from my current rig:
Hard drives (3x Sata III drives)
Radeon 6850

Parts I already purchased:
Corsair Graphite Series 600TM
Seasonic X-660 Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold

Plan to get:
i7-2600k
Mobo: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498
RAM: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_612&item_id=044492

All three parts I can get locally at a Canada Computers store. Pretty much everything they have is now overpriced, but they claim to do price matching. I will put that to the test :p Just looking at the 2600k and mobo they can be found $51 cheaper elsewhere..

Mobo considerations: The 600TM has a usb 3.0 slot, so I wanted the mobo to support that. I also wanted one that could do crossfire OR sli to keep options open, though this does feel a bit silly because it will likely not happen.

I disregarded the idea of getting PCI-e 3.0 slots, because they won't work with the 2600k; and I'm not getting a new processor after paying $300+ for one. At least not until I'm ready to get a new rig a few years from now.

I am not getting a non-stock cpu cooler at this time. I wanted to see how the 2600k performs as is, and if I need some more power for streaming I can overclock later.

Can the 2600k use 1600mhz RAM without overclocking, or does it run at 1333mhz?