Sign in with
Your question

Problems after shipping a newly built PC

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2012 2:02:53 AM

Certainly not my first rodeo with building my own gaming rig however, this one has got me stumped. i built my girlfriend a brand new gaming rig for Christmas. Were in a long distance relationship so after Christmas in order to send it back to her we just threw it in a suitcase(a rather large one) and fly it home with her. Since it was the cheaper of the two, ie shipping. I got it up and running within a few hours. I even installed and played part of Sryrim for a while just to make sure the graphics were operating smoothly. When we packaged it up it worked fine. When she got in and tried to use it she gets nothing when its turned on. It will not past post at all. The motherboard gets power all the fans work correctly, but no video output as well as no post. Im somewhat stumped on this one. I dont know if something had happened in flight that might have caused an issue with the motherboard or video card. I had her remove both all ram and even the CPU to see if it would force it into post but nothing it just sits there running the fans. With my current situation theres not an extra motherboard or video card to try, so I wanted to hit the forums for any advice before I went replaceing parts. Listed below are the parts.

ASUS M5A97 AM3+
ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit
16G G-Skill RAM
500G Seagate
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2012 2:23:13 AM

I flew internationally before with a desktop computer in my luggage.

I surrounded it with a thick comforter on all sides (I mean a good one too, my second most prized possession at the time after my PC) and the PC made it to Germany just fine.

Then the PSU exploded as soon as I plugged in the power cord. Apparently I forgot that they don't use 115v in Germany. Active PFC wasn't around back then either.

Anyway... getting back to the subject...

Tell her to take each cable out of whatever it is plugged into one by one and stick it back in firmly. The same thing with the RAM and the video card too.

It is possible something came loose when the computer was being slammed around inside the baggage area of the plane.

She can also try taking the battery out and putting it back in after 30 min (it is easy to take out with a small flat screwdriver pushing on the metal part holding the battery in. It will be forcibly ejected from the slot when this happens. She should pick it up by the side and try to avoid touching the bottom portion during this process and set it down somewhere with the smooth part face down (upside down).

During this entire process, it would be wise of her to touch the metal part of the case early and often and not put any computer parts on carpet or anything, only wood surfaces, styrofoam, cardboard, or things like that.

If neither of those things make a difference, she can try going down to 1 stick of RAM. I won't bother to suggest every stick in every slot, but maybe try a different stick in each slot at least, that is 4 slots and 4 sticks so only 4 different "tries" rather than 16.

If that doesn't work, you might want to start thinking about switching out the PSU for a good brand, like an XFX 550w.

You said no other motherboard or video card to try specifically, are there any parts of any kind available to try?
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2012 10:12:26 AM

Raiddinn said:
During this entire process, it would be wise of her to touch the metal part of the case early and often and not put any computer parts on carpet or anything, only wood surfaces, styrofoam, cardboard, or things like that.

Not styrofoam. Styrofoam generates static like crazy.

If your girlfriend is on her own, your problem is a little difficult.

Start here:
Build it yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step...
This will give her an idea of how the pieces go together.

And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

If all of that doesn't work, check back here.
January 12, 2012 12:09:28 AM

Raiddinn - You pointed out a few things that I didnt think of trying. I will have her try them before I go to any measure of buying suspected parts to replace. Yeah at her apartment she doesn't have any spare parts to try. As for myself, im deploying very soon so Im sorta out of parts too. I like to get rid of everything before I deploy so they dont just sit around and collect dust or corrode..lol

jsc - I am going to send her the links thanks for the post. She does have enough know how to navigate around inside. Shes not as comfortable as I am, but with us both using webcam I can guide her through pretty much everything. But thank you for the links. She does want to learn more from the hardware part of it.
!