Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wavy Lines whyen playing games, Power supply failing?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Power Supplies
  • Games
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2011 7:52:42 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but can't seem to find a more appropriate forum.

Ok so recently when playing games my monitor produces wavy lines. It is a vga Acer 21.5ich 1920x1080 with 60HZ.

Apart from the lines on the screen games run perfect using a GTX 580 twin frozr 2 and my PSU doesn't run warm.

I have tried using 4 different monitors, all VGA as I've not access to digital, and they all produce the same lines.

I have also just put in my old 460 and the same lines appear when playing games.

I'm using as corsair tx650w that is about 1 year old. Is this a sign of my powersupply failing? Everything works perfectly, yet I see these lines on my monitor.

I also bought a new ssd about 2 weeks ago and didn't format old OS which I use for storage, could there be a driver clash or something?

I'm totally stuck, thanks for reading.

this is an example but not me:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTk5buZwuXE

ADDITION:I have moved monitor away from speakers and is not near PSU cables so I don't think it could be interference as it only happens in games.

More about : wavy lines whyen playing games power supply failing

November 13, 2011 9:57:26 AM

Ashworth said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but can't seem to find a more appropriate forum.

Ok so recently when playing games my monitor produces wavy lines. It is a vga Acer 21.5ich 1920x1080 with 60HZ.

Apart from the lines on the screen games run perfect using a GTX 580 twin frozr 2 and my PSU doesn't run warm.

I have tried using 4 different monitors, all VGA as I've not access to digital, and they all produce the same lines.

I have also just put in my old 460 and the same lines appear when playing games.

I'm using as corsair tx650w that is about 1 year old. Is this a sign of my powersupply failing? Everything works perfectly, yet I see these lines on my monitor.

I also bought a new ssd about 2 weeks ago and didn't format old OS which I use for storage, could there be a driver clash or something?

I'm totally stuck, thanks for reading.

this is an example but not me:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTk5buZwuXE

ADDITION:I have moved monitor away from speakers and is not near PSU cables so I don't think it could be interference as it only happens in games.

i think its a result of the gpu refresh rate and the monitors refresh rate being out of sync

can you pop into nvidia control panel and take a look at the settings to make sure they match with your monitor? see mine below:

additional: when you've tried other monitors have you used the same physical cable?

with that gpu you really should look to get a better display imho, see here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

after all, your gpu costs best part of 500 USD new, if not more

chaz
November 13, 2011 10:04:38 AM

cps1974 said:
i think its a result of the gpu refresh rate and the monitors refresh rate being out of sync

can you pop into nvidia control panel and take a look at the settings to make sure they match with your monitor? see mine below:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9242/refreshrate.png

additional: when you've tried other monitors have you used the same physical cable?

chaz

my refresh rate in nvidia control panel is 60hertz 32 bit colour at 1920x1080 and is the same with my monitors

and I tried several different vga and power cords

thanks for reply
Related resources
November 13, 2011 10:09:46 AM

monitor* I only have 1
November 13, 2011 10:20:45 AM

this is something I just stumbled across on web...

"Yeah, the monitor works only by analog. So poor signal quality and/or interference is causing your issue; something that is not possible in the digital realm. With digital, it is either all or nothing (0s or 1s.)

My advice is to replace the vga cable to a better one and/or move pc away from any light source, cable, tv, phone or power lines running throughout the walls until the issue clears up."

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/36813-wavy-lin...

can you get to borrow a monitor with dvi/hdmi for an hour or so?

chaz
November 13, 2011 10:24:32 AM

I have tried moving my monitor and different cables for no interference, but I get none when outside of games. I don't have access to a DVI and my case blocks the HDMI port in my 460...
November 13, 2011 10:30:45 AM

what process did you follow for un-installing old drivers?

which drivers are you currently using?

chaz
November 13, 2011 10:48:42 AM

cps1974 said:
what process did you follow for un-installing old drivers?

which drivers are you currently using?

chaz

latests official nvidia drivers, I didn't do anything special to delete drivers, I just ran the installer and it seemed to work

a c 173 Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
November 13, 2011 11:32:12 AM

Ashworth said:
latests official nvidia drivers, I didn't do anything special to delete drivers, I just ran the installer and it seemed to work

I suspect that the interference is coming from the monitor itself.
November 13, 2011 11:55:53 AM

Mousemonkey said:
I suspect that the interference is coming from the monitor itself.

I don't think it has to do with the GPU. I just tried skyrim and I'm getting the wavey lines, but I'm still playing at 1920x1080 on ultra with 8xAA at 60fps and the game looks and runs amazingly. In light areas the lines are pretty much invisible but when you look up at the sky when its night you can see them. But it happens on every monitor I try.

I have just ordered a new PSU and DVI Monitor anyway.
November 13, 2011 3:26:50 PM

i think it will be down the monitor and its vga connection with such a good card - I dont think it will be the PSU from what youve reported

keep us updated

chaz
November 13, 2011 3:29:01 PM

Ashworth said:

where as drivers will "install" over and remove to some extent the old ones I am very cautious and always follow this process, call me fussy but I never had any issues - except for 10 years back when i didnt follow the process:

1. uninstall 3d drivers and physx via control panel/uninstall program
2. delete certain Nvidia folders in windows explorer (which folders will depend on your OS version)
3. device manager - uninstall GTX 460 drivers
4. reboot in safemode and run driversweep to remove traces of nvidia drivers left over
5. optional - i run cccleaner at this stage to remove crap from recycle bin
6. reboot in normal mode and install new driver

see this link for more info...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

chaz
November 13, 2011 3:29:08 PM

cps1974 said:
i think it will be down the monitor and its vga connection with such a good card - I dont think it will be the PSU from what youve reported

keep us updated

chaz

will do, thanks
November 13, 2011 3:31:17 PM

cps1974 said:
where as drivers will "install" over and remove to some extent the old ones I am very cautious and always follow this process, call me fussy but I never had any issues - except for 10 years back when i didnt follow the process:

1. uninstall 3d drivers and physx via control panel/uninstall program
2. delete certain Nvidia folders in windows explorer (which folders will depend on your OS version)
3. device manager - uninstall GTX 460 drivers
4. reboot in safemode and run driversweep to remove traces of nvidia drivers left over
5. optional - i run cccleaner at this stage to remove crap from recycle bin
6. reboot in normal mode and install new driver

see this link for more info...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

chaz

The drivers for the 580 are exactly the same as the ones for the 460, so I'm not sure is necessary, I will do this after I get new monitor and psu, thanks
November 15, 2011 4:02:36 PM

I just installed a new PSU and everything is fixed. I was using too much for my 650W Psu. Thanks for the help.
!