Sign in with
Your question

Help With Choosing a New Graphics Card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2011 8:22:03 AM

Hi everyone, I guess I should start off by saying I know very little about things like upgrading a computer, and I appreciate all advice given to me as it will be a big help.
A few years ago, back in December 2009 I bought a new computer. A hp p6242f to be exact. The stock card that came with it a GEForce G210 which has worked fine, but I just think it's time for an upgrade. I have my eyes set on getting a GeForce GTX 460 1GB, though I'm not sure if it's compatible with my computer or not.

Like I said earlier I don't really know much about this topic, so some relevant information may not be here, but I'll do my best to find that info out.

Here's a CPU-Z report, I'm hoping that a lot of information needed to answer my question will be in there, but I guess I should list some of the things from the report in here too.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5 GHz
8 Gigs Ram

I also read about how my PSU wattage is important in finding out if my computer can use a video card, I'm not sure how to find that though. A lot of websites said that I should be able to find that info out on the back/side of my computer. I found this. Not sure if it's what I'm looking for though.

Also, a picture of the inside of my computer, in case it will be of any help, and anyone mind pointing out to me where my graphics card is inside my computer? I think it's the part I circled in red in this picture but I'm not too sure. :lol: 

Also if it is compatible with my computer, I'll need to ground myself when installing it right? Would say, touching a sink tap work? I'll probably see if I can find an anti-static wriststrap too.

Any other tips or info about installing video cards would be appreciated too. :) 

More about : choosing graphics card

November 13, 2011 8:34:58 AM

i think it's best to get a mid level gpu instead of going high end and being bottle necked by 80% of the stuff in that HP.
m
l
November 13, 2011 8:37:45 AM

trihedral said:
i think it's best to get a mid level gpu instead of going high end and being bottle necked by 80% of the stuff in that HP.

Okay then, do you have a particular GPU you would recommend?
m
l
Related resources
a c 88 U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 10:19:26 AM

On the white Bestec sticker....does it have Maximum watts?
Thats the white sticker close to the bright yellow one in the pic. That will tell you the power of the psu....what does it say?
m
l
November 13, 2011 6:04:35 PM

monsta said:
On the white Bestec sticker....does it have Maximum watts?
Thats the white sticker close to the bright yellow one in the pic. That will tell you the power of the psu....what does it say?

300 watts?

m
l
November 14, 2011 12:42:20 AM

Double post here, but I didn't see it prohibited in the rules, but if it is my apologies.

Okay, so after doing more research online, it became clear that my 300 watt PSU can't handle a GTX 460. I actually found out that only 300 watts is pretty low. So I may upgrade my PSU. Of course I'll make a new topic in a different sub-forum when the time comes, but I have a question about the GTX 460 and my computer.

Is the 300 watt PSU the only thing preventing me from using the GTX 460? Assuming I replace my PSU with a say a 750 watt PSU would I be fine?
m
l
!