Help With Choosing a New Graphics Card.

YzermanScores

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Hi everyone, I guess I should start off by saying I know very little about things like upgrading a computer, and I appreciate all advice given to me as it will be a big help.
A few years ago, back in December 2009 I bought a new computer. A hp p6242f to be exact. The stock card that came with it a GEForce G210 which has worked fine, but I just think it's time for an upgrade. I have my eyes set on getting a GeForce GTX 460 1GB, though I'm not sure if it's compatible with my computer or not.

Like I said earlier I don't really know much about this topic, so some relevant information may not be here, but I'll do my best to find that info out.

Here's a CPU-Z report, I'm hoping that a lot of information needed to answer my question will be in there, but I guess I should list some of the things from the report in here too.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5 GHz
8 Gigs Ram

I also read about how my PSU wattage is important in finding out if my computer can use a video card, I'm not sure how to find that though. A lot of websites said that I should be able to find that info out on the back/side of my computer. I found this. Not sure if it's what I'm looking for though.

28mo7wy.jpg

Also, a picture of the inside of my computer, in case it will be of any help, and anyone mind pointing out to me where my graphics card is inside my computer? I think it's the part I circled in red in this picture but I'm not too sure. :lol:

14xgfgg.jpg

Also if it is compatible with my computer, I'll need to ground myself when installing it right? Would say, touching a sink tap work? I'll probably see if I can find an anti-static wriststrap too.

Any other tips or info about installing video cards would be appreciated too. :)

YzermanScores

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Okay then, do you have a particular GPU you would recommend?

YzermanScores

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

300 watts?

29em5fq.jpg

YzermanScores

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Double post here, but I didn't see it prohibited in the rules, but if it is my apologies.

Okay, so after doing more research online, it became clear that my 300 watt PSU can't handle a GTX 460. I actually found out that only 300 watts is pretty low. So I may upgrade my PSU. Of course I'll make a new topic in a different sub-forum when the time comes, but I have a question about the GTX 460 and my computer.

Is the 300 watt PSU the only thing preventing me from using the GTX 460? Assuming I replace my PSU with a say a 750 watt PSU would I be fine?