Building new computer soon need cpu advice

ericjp87

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
everyone on the internet says wait for the Intel Core i5-3750K but I was looking at how good the hd 4000 graphics are going to be but it seems like its going to be a waste since I'm planning on buying a amd 6850 and they're not going to combine gpu power right? I was just reading about how ivy is mostly a graphics performance over sandy should I maybe pick an amd processor? I haven't been keeping up to date on pc hardware last time I built a computer was 6 years ago.

G

the question is what are you going to do with your computer?
web, watch movies, encode video, game?

AFAIK the HD 4000 is an increase for watching movies and such but nothing for gaming. and to be perfectly honest, right now intel pretty much has things locked up as far as performance in doing anything on a desktop.

ericjp87

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
not really no more than $250 for cpu and best bang for buck. From reading the reviews the hd 4000 graphics is a lot better than my e6600 with 8800gtx machine so I thought paying for the hd 4000 and there not being any sli for the graphics card it was kind of a waste.

I wouldn't buy the 3750K based on just the HD 4000 graphics alone, especially since you're gonna be using a discreet GPU. Where that WOULD help out, I suppose, is it'll probably be a little faster transcoding video with Quick Sync (which is already insanely fast with HD 3000), and possibly a slight performance boost in games from Virtu MVP (as long as you're gonna use a Z77 mobo, but I'm guessing you would).

The 3750K should be better (if only by a little) overall than the 2500K though, with the caveat that it may not OC as well.

The Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is out and it is just about the best gaming processor for performance and value that you can find. This morning we have officially announced the release of the 3rd generation Intel Core processors (start reading the reviews) and they are being reported to be everything that the 2nd generation Intel Core processors were but if you are going to overclock you are going to have to make sure you get a good cooling solution to go along with them.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team