GPU Compatabilty with Mobo.

Neidas

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hello,

I have a eMachines computer that i bought last year, it has the ET1850 motherboard and I also have 1 empty PCI-E x16 slot for a graphics card.

I was wondering would the Gigabyte GTX 650 work with my motherboard? I know it fits in the slot, but the GPU is quite new and I read somewhere that the motherboard is 10 years old, so I was wondering would there be any compatibility issues and would it boot up fine and would the GPU override the internal gpu. Or would I have to go into the BIOS to disable internal graphics etc, as if the motherboard is that old..I doubt it has that option and it might be stubborn and not recognize the GPU.

Thank you for the answers.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
ET1850's motherboard and processor combination is modest, with a budget Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 processor and an own-brand motherboard which uses Intel's G41 chipset.

That means you have a PCIe 1.0 buss. I don't think a PCIe 3.0 card is compatible. You may have purchaced the machine a year ago, but it was made nearly seven years ago. Core2duo and G41 are at the end of thier product lifespan. Try a GT 630. I think thats the best card the system will handle.