Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why does bf3 keep crashing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2011 10:02:06 AM

Hello,

My bf3 and Skyrim game keeps closing itself down. It doesn't freeze my pc. It flickers to a black screen and then back to my desktop. I have updated all my drivers and my pc is not overheating as far as I'm aware of.

I have a 560ti and i5 25K.

Any thoughts?

More about : bf3 crashing

a c 88 U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 10:22:44 AM

There could be another driver or Ram doing this , do you get any problems when not playing games?
Also what is your psu?
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 10:24:58 AM

As far as you know generally isn't enough you have to actually check :) 

Check you gpu temps with gpuz. What is your PSU? Are you having any issues with other games or programs? Have you tried a clean driver install or older drivers? Checked battlefield 3 and skyrim forums? Is it a new gpu? Do they close down randomly during.g a game or when you try to start the game?
Related resources
November 13, 2011 10:28:01 AM

I don't have any other problem. It's only when I'm playing these 2 games and it closes down randomly throughout the game, not during stratup
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 10:33:43 AM

Do you get a windows error? Its feasible they are using more memory than would occur with normal use.in your system and hitting a bad bit... an unstable overclock might cause an issue too if these are loading up you CPU more than your other programs. Same with gpu overclock or using more power if your PSU isn't up to it
November 13, 2011 10:40:48 AM

Here's my specs:

Arctic Power 700W PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-Express
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache
Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel Audo ATX Motherboard
November 13, 2011 10:41:38 AM

I don't get an error message. That is what is bugging me, because I don't get any message or notificate at all.
November 13, 2011 12:02:13 PM

Advoc8, the games are probably going to be patched heavily in the coming months - both are crashing for me and everyone I know pretty heavily at the moment as well.

Make sure all your drivers are updated (of course) and double check the temp of your pc. I'd recommend something simple like piriform's Speccy to check the temps.

Bf3 especially is a buggy pos, but I had to buy it on release day...
a c 88 U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 12:05:52 PM

Usually its a software problem when a game stops like that without any freezes,blue screens or error messages or disruption to Windows. Try playing Dead Island or Rage , they are buggy as hell. a lot of the new games are buggy so keep an eye out for updates and patches.
November 13, 2011 12:07:27 PM

monsta said:
Usually its a software problem when a game stops like that without any freezes,blue screens or error messages or disruption to Windows. Try playing Dead Island or Rage , they are buggy as hell. a lot of the new games are buggy so keep an eye out for updates and patches.

Exactly it. Companies tend to release less than vanilla versions nowadays due to the fact that updating is so simple and widespread. They also don't care about you, you are a monkey with cash to big business.
November 13, 2011 12:16:49 PM

I had a similar issue with BF3, turned out to be my joystick (Saitek X52) causing the issue. If I unplugged it, the game ran like a champ, but with it plugged in, it would periodically just go to a black screen and hang. no crash, no error. Check to make sure your input device drivers (logitech, saitek or whatever you have) are up to date.
November 13, 2011 4:34:14 PM

monsta said:

I have Dead Island and I have no problems with that game.
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 4:47:18 PM

Advoc8 said:
Here's my specs:

Arctic Power 700W PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-Express
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache
Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel Audo ATX Motherboard

Make sure your RAM is set to 1333mhz or less in the BIOS. If it's any higher that may be why you're crashing.
November 13, 2011 4:51:07 PM

I have no problems with dead island or Battlefield 3.
November 13, 2011 5:05:23 PM

It happens mostly with the first copies of many games..
Battlefield for one, has had a history rigged with crashes and patches!
So, i suggest u keep these games on a standby, wait for a future release.

And if u r very keen on playin' them now, u cud sae ur user prof. and reinstall the thing. See if that works out with ya..

Thx
November 13, 2011 5:07:10 PM

Also, if u want 2, u can install these games on the pc of some buddy of urs matching its requirements and see if it crashes for him!! This is a last resort and a bit peculiar one, coz it works for me sumtimes..
November 13, 2011 5:27:35 PM

My rig has not been overclocked whatsoever.

I have tried bf3 on a similar rig already and no problems. The only difference on the other rig is the graphics cards which is Nvidia 560.
November 13, 2011 5:49:45 PM

That power supply is garbage, I'm not even kidding. That would be the first thing I looked into.
November 13, 2011 7:01:16 PM

I really don't think it's my PSU.

As I said before Ive tried bf3 on another rig, which is practically the same as mine other than the gfx card.
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 9:17:28 PM

I would try an older driver version for your video card. BF3 crashes to a black screen repeatedly, can't complete a single match using ATIs 11.10 drivers, but game hasn't crashed once using the 11.9. This is with a 5770. But your problem does sound driver related to me.
November 14, 2011 3:53:26 PM

@loneninja, driver problems are more frequent with ATI than nVidia,
& since Advoc8 here has a 560ti, driver problem might not be the answer coz nvidia's customer support and driver updates are always amazing!
a c 290 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 6:01:10 PM

Is it a gigabyte 560 ti? I've been having exactly same trouble with my Gigabyte GTX 560 ti OC.
November 14, 2011 8:17:14 PM

Sunius said:
Is it a gigabyte 560 ti? I've been having exactly same trouble with my Gigabyte GTX 560 ti OC.

Try updating the Bios. Gigabyte put out an update late September. I had to do that to get BF3 working. I also had to underclock my factory overclocked card to the stock clock speed using MSI's Afterburner. Everything seems to be working well enough for me now. Still crashing some but once every 4 hours of game time is fine with me at this point.
November 16, 2011 5:12:16 PM

Advoc8 said:
Hello,

My bf3 and Skyrim game keeps closing itself down. It doesn't freeze my pc. It flickers to a black screen and then back to my desktop. I have updated all my drivers and my pc is not overheating as far as I'm aware of.

Any thoughts?

My Skyrim is doing the exact same thing... during gameplay sometimes 3 or 4 seconds after the game is first loaded I'll start moving around, and it will just shut down completely... no error message, no nothing, 1 second i'm looking at a Troll, the next I'm looking at my Steam window... it's pissing me off lol
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 9:54:19 PM

A lot of the new games out are crashing because of driver issues. Just wait until new drivers come out. If you're not having any problems with other games that is...
a c 88 U Graphics card
November 17, 2011 4:03:34 AM

The Gigabyte 560ti's are having issues , you need to download the latest bios from their site and flash the card. Plays much better with the Bios update , also using the Nvidia beta driver helped too. The game runs better but I wouldn't say perfect.
December 8, 2011 5:34:37 PM

Advoc8 said:
Hello,

Any thoughts?

i have the same problem since some stupid bf3 patch my driver showes the overdrive like i have got some crap of graphic card it over loads every time specs. ati 5750 11 d x 1gb
December 31, 2011 3:35:29 PM

same thing happens with me on bf3. I am running a gtx 580 with intel quad coreq9550 @ 2.8 ghz. tried everything, tweak voltage, lower my clock speeds, reinstalled bf3/origin, lowered my settings, reinstalled punkbuster, reinstalled my drivers, used clean sweep, driver sweeper, reseated my card, did everything I could. No luck.

James
January 3, 2012 10:34:57 PM

I am also having many issues with BF3 crashing my whole system after about 25 min, make me have to force shutdown and restart my system. I have tried may things like reinstalling the game, reinstalling my drivers, changing my video cards, etc.

My rig:
Intel q9550 2.83 Ghz
Intel Extreme DP45SG mobo
8gb of DDR3 G skill 1600
BFG gtx 285
700W OCZ PSU

Every thing is running at stock.
Thanks in advance!
!