Amd intel laptop cpu comparison

daysppring

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Hello, I'm thinking about buying a new laptop, but cannot decide between an AMD A8 or Intel I-5.
Gaming isn't a primary issue, but I would like to play Modern Warfare. How important is discrete graphics or integrated graphics?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Discrete graphics will pretty much always beat integrated graphics. If you want to know by how much for any particular combo, you need to be looking at benchmarks.

You don't get that performance for free, though. Not only is it more expensive to put a discrete card in a laptop, they use much more power and your battery life suffers. Up to you to decide if you want that or not.

If you do decide to go with integrated, you'll definitely want an AMD chip (their integrated graphics is much more powerful), and you probably want to wait a couple weeks to see what's happening with Trinity. since they'll be shipping soon and have more powerful still integrated graphics.

What is the primary issue?
Have you run down to the Laptops/Notebooks section of the THG forum and looked around there?

Correct. May 15th is the latest rumor.
And maybe even more important (since gaming isn't a primary issue) is a nice boost in the CPU side of the APU.