Question On Manufacturers

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I've been trying to read up on whether there is a significant difference between different graphic cards manufacturers, but have not been able to find anything recent and at least somewhat conclusive. With this in mind, I though to ask you, the community here, what your thoughts were. Other than slight clock differences and cooling designs, is there any significant difference between say, the cheapest and most expensive versions of the same card?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
It can be.

Along the same range of cards from the same manufacturer, usually clock speed is the diference. Between manufacturers, the diference is the software that comes bundled. Some cards have bundled games, others have video applications.

When choosing a card, I always check their websites, I check to see if there is an easy costumer support. Some manufactuers are impossbile to be contacted.

6 years ago, it was easier to choose, as nvidia and ATI (AMD) had its exclusive manufacteres. Top brands for nvidia were BFG, XFX and EVGA. ATI had Sapphire and MSI. Now, the companies are manufacturing for both sides, and mobo companies like gigabyte and Asus joined the business. So now you have a gazillion options.

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Thank you for the helpful reply. From what you've said, I take it then that it's safe to simply buy the cheapest model of the card you want?