256sdram or 128 DDR for vid-edit?

G

Hia,
this has probably been posted already, but i just dont have the time to search for it.

Since we're getting a new comp, i need to know one thing.
Is 128 DDR enough for video editing??
Atm on this comp i have 192 SDram and thats enough, no crashes, runs fine,
but i have no idea if the 128ddr will be enough (the firewire card will move to the new comp).

Or will the prices of DDR drop enough within the next one or 2 months to buy 256 of DDR ?
(i live in Holland btw, so low prices in the us dont really help me, it has to be low here too)

Thanks in advance.

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
here's my OPINION:

generally, video editing likes a large quantity of ram and the more you have the better. obviously faster ram would mean better performance but all the performance gain will be negated once the computer needs the swapfile. try running your programs with 128meg in your current computer (remove 64megs) and see how things go. if the computer starts paging heavily then you know 128megs isn't enough and even faster ram won't help once it overflows to the hard drive. if your video editing doesn't skip a bit with only 128megs, then you will know that 128megDDR is enough and you can always add more when prices drop.

mpjesse

Splendid
I used to edit video in college as a hobby. The machines I worked with had an incredible amount of memory. Back in 94 i worked with a machine that was considered a very "basic" digital video editor and it contained 64megs of RAM. That was a lot for back then. So, I can't imagine what a sufficient amout would be now. I recommend getting the most possible RAM. Also, get a fast HDD- because you will be doing swapping and pulling up large files of the HDD.

-MP Jesse

G

Thanks for the replies :)
Well, not much i can do then wait for the new mainboards with the kt266 chip, and wait
for the prices of ddr to drop .

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've found nothing really needs more than 512MB. Well ok nothing you got in a workstation. In a server, well the more the better. I've rendered 30MB Max files and never saw it come close 512MB of memory usage. And I'm pretty sure the current chipset support it. Although it is $400 a 256MB card at mushkin.

G

I think 512mb is the amount you want for graphic systems. I have 256mb right now and it is frequently being used up.