Hobo82

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hey folks,

With the release of Ivy Bridge only a few hours away, I have a question.

I currently have a 2500k on an AsRock Extreme4 Gen3 (z68). I know from a "gamer's" perspective, there's not going to be a huge difference with IB over SB, but I've got 2x7970 in my PCI-e 3.0 slots but only running at PCI-e 2.0 (8x/8x). Will replacing SB and enabling PCI-e 3.0 make a huge difference? or even a moderate difference? And if so, worth the price (not to mention the pain the a** of draining/removing all my water cooling components to replace the processor)?

To be honest, I'm looking for confirmation that it WILL make a difference because I really want IB, but if it legitimately will not matter, I'm open to the truth. lol.

Thanks in advance!

Hobo82

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
WR2,

I assumed as much. Thank you for your input. So you don't think the PCI-e 3.0 interface will have any noticable difference?

The truth will be out there in a couple days time when all the dust and angst has finally settled.
As for the 'I really want IB'? You'll probably do what you want anyway. ;)
And be back here next year asking the same thing and saying you really want Haswell.

If you can get a good price selling your 2500k it will take some of the sting out of changing.

Would a noticeable difference be one of those it's a 'different meaning to me than to you' type things?

There is a graph somewhere showing measurable improvements with 2 cards on PCI-e3 compared to 2, i'm assuming thats a x16x16 compared to x16x16 setup, although thinking about it I don't know how they managed that (must be a high end mobo with an additional controller).

Hobo82

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
As for the 'I really want IB'? You'll probably do what you want anyway.
And be back here next year asking the same thing and saying you really want Haswell.

If you can get a good price selling your 2500k it will take some of the sting out of changing.
lol
While the temptation to have the biggest, baddest, newest widget is definitely there, I'm resisting the urge. If it won't be "noticable", I don't care.
Would a noticeable difference be one of those it's a 'different meaning to me than to you' type things?
Perhaps, but to be honest, I don't really know alot about the PCI-e interface differences.

To me - a noticeable difference would be like running BF3 with very nice playable framerates on High Graphics on PCI-e 2.0 and running on Ultra Graphics on PCI-e 3.0. And where the PCI-e 2.0 setup would not keep up running Ultra Graphics.

Hobo82

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

I see your point. I can run BF3 on ultra with no problems. If there's an "improvement", it wouldn't be noticable to the naked eye.
Yes upgrade and sell me your i5 and mobo for cheap <.< >.>
Wouldn't need to replace the mobo. IB is 1155 socket. Hence, why they started featuring "gen3" PCI-e 3.0 technology on boards before a cpu was even available to utilize it.

salamakajakawaka

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

No sense of humor ^

salamakajakawaka

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Anyway, back to topic, I agree wthi hobo. Pcie 3.0 is pointless until more powerful cards come out that have the potential of saturation a 2.1 bus.

If you have a 2500k keep it. Wait till haswell to upgrade (at that point I would expect an at least 15-20 percent difference in i5 performance between the generations.

Hobo82

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

I hope you're joking

xionas

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
does IB support 1333MHz ram?

asus mobo p8h77 states:

1600MHz and higher frequency memory is supported by Intel® 3rd generation processors.