Upgrade to Sandy or Ivy?

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm currently rocking an AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.7.

Now I'm wondering, seeing as Ivy Bridge has just launched, is it worth getting the i5 3570k or just opting for a 2500k instead?

I know a lot of you wouldn't even consider an upgrade to SB, but a mate is planning on upgrading himself, and subsequently will have a Z68 mobo and 2500k for sale.

Looking for any thoughts, money isn't really an issue as I've been planning an upgrade for quite some time now.

Cheers!

Do you really want to let your mate have a i5 3570K / Z77 rig while you use his cast-away parts?
Seems to me that sets you up for a case of 'buyers remorse' every time he talks about how sweet his new rig is running.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Oh I have a 7950 while he's still rocking a 6870, I've still got the bragging rights ;)

salamakajakawaka

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I guess it all depends on the money he is asking. I mean ivy will give you a little more performance, but there isn't much over sandy. If you upgrade to a 2500k and money is right I'd do it. You say money isn't an issue, but if that's the case get a 3770k.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

I tried editing my post to get over what I was really trying to say but it said I couldn't, annoying :p

As like every working man I've got a budget, the cap for that is the price of a mobo and i5 CPU.

Else I would have shelled out for a SB-E the day they came out :p

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
I would like to add something here.

This processor is designed to go into non-overclocked machines. It is not for gaming. Why didn't they just say that to begin with. I have a CPU that is designed for laptops. It sucks. Overclocking is a joke. We know that the age of the desktop has been over for a while now. The smaller units will overtake the desktop in market share. Cool. So tell us that from now on.

Just say that there are two market segments for CPU's. There are ones that are for overclocking and thermal performance ect. They are desinged to be used with high powered GPU's. Then the other segment is for laptops, pads, phones, ect.. Those chips are going to sell more. Thats cool. We can handle change.

We were never supposed to be concerned with IB in the first place and it's irritating that we have waited for this to be released thinking that it is something we could use. For me this has been a total waste of time.

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

:heink:

Please explain the bold.

From everything i've read the IB is 5-10% more powerful than SB's with the only reservation being a .1-3 Ghz difference in overclocking...

EDIT: oh and the IB's cost less...

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Ok cool.

What's the point of putting a GPU in a processor that everyone who games can't use? There is none. It's for people who don't game.

The general performance increase is a whopping 3.7% as shown in the review. But in reality for gamers it's a wash.

But the real problem is that it's way too hot under full load. You have to water cool it if you are going to overclock it at all. That also came from the review.

As for the market segmentation for CPU's, what are you asking? There are CPU's and CPU/Gpu combos. Those are the two. IB is a CPU/GPU combo. I don't need that. I have a combo and it's useless to me.

As for my 3850, it overclocks horribly. It belongs in a laptop. There is a review here for that. I'm not going to go look for it. They say the same thing.

As for cost. OK it's less. Lets see for real when it hits the market.