Sign in with
Your question

600 and 7000 series; worth the wait?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2011 1:57:58 PM

Hi,

I'm planning on building a gaming pc in the next few months, preferably now. I'm wondering whether it would be better to wait for the AMD 7000 series as I understand that they are coming out soon, instead of getting a 560 Ti and building now. How significant are the performance gains of the 7000 series estimated to be, and would be I better off waiting for it? Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 3:46:32 PM

Depends if you like waiting. You will get more performance for your dollar when the new cards come out, as is the case for every new generation of GPUs. The performance gains are likely the same as other generations compare. In the best case, I would say the difference in performance would be comparable to going from the GTX 200 series vs. the GTX 500 series, but nobody knows for sure.
a c 365 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
November 13, 2011 3:55:19 PM

Unknown.

What is your current PC specs?
Related resources
November 13, 2011 4:49:48 PM

You should wait for the new series to come out. In the worst case, if the new series have less or equal or slight higher performance then you can choose the best card that value for the money.
November 13, 2011 5:59:34 PM

gmcizzle said:
Depends if you like waiting. You will get more performance for your dollar when the new cards come out, as is the case for every new generation of GPUs. The performance gains are likely the same as other generations compare. In the best case, I would say the difference in performance would be comparable to going from the GTX 200 series vs. the GTX 500 series, but nobody knows for sure.

By best case, do you mean that it will be the largest possible improvement? So it could be much lower?

jaguarskx said:
Unknown.

What is your current PC specs?

I'm asking for an estimate, not facts as obviously I could find them and not have to ask. I haven't yet built the PC, I'm speculating as to whether I should get a 560 Ti or similar now, or wait for the new generation of GPUs.
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 6:06:41 PM

nwc12345 said:
By best case, do you mean that it will be the largest possible improvement? So it could be much lower?

I'm asking for an estimate, not facts as obviously I could find them and not have to ask. I haven't yet built the PC, I'm speculating as to whether I should get a 560 Ti or similar now, or wait for the new generation of GPUs.

Yes, it could be lower, especially on the mid-range cards. Don't expect 580 performance at a 560 Ti price when the GTX 660 or equivalent comes out.
November 14, 2011 3:02:02 PM

gmcizzle said:
Yes, it could be lower, especially on the mid-range cards. Don't expect 580 performance at a 560 Ti price when the GTX 660 or equivalent comes out.

Ok, thanks for your help :)  I think I'm gonna go for a 560 Ti now instead of waiting.
!