Driver Genius: Good or Bad?

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Is driver genius good or bad? I've used it on several PCs with no issues to note but I want to be absolutely certain it's the way to go, or should manual driver downloads from manufacturer websites be top choice?

Thanks in advance. (The only issues I've ever run into were HP laptop and assigning the wrong "custom" driver.)

Yes, I always go to the manufacturer website to download the driver because they will update the drivers more frequently. For example, intel chipset driver or GPU drivers, you are better to download from intel and AMD/ nvidia website.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
See, I always thought the same thing until I recently started noticing that Driver Genius was applying the correct driver package, but merely a newer one. Leaves me stumped because I'd imagine the manufacturer would be up to date.

To add: Intel Chipset Drivers for a MoBo. Should I download those from the MoBo manufacturer website or from Intel?

genz

Distinguished
There should be at least three sets. There reference bits (that are on every model of chipset e.g Intel Management Interface and INF files) then the drivers for the additional bells and whistles on your particular board. The intel stuff should come from Intel as its always gonna be the latest, but the rest should come from your mobo page for the sake of the fact that your mobo manufacturers will have tested compatibility with your board already.