Lifeless new build EVGA SR-2 w/single cpu

spants

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time writer. I built a machine to the following specs yesterday and can't seem to get it to fire-up.

Intel Xeon E5645 (single for now)
EVGA Classified SR-2
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL9T2-24GBRL
Quadro 4000
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III
ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA Case
CORSAIR (CMPSU-950TX) 950W ATX12V v2.3

When I first plugged it in and depressed the power button, two LEDs blinked but since then nothing. I have the processor and all memory in the CPU-0 position per the manual. I have the GPU in the first PCI slot. I also have a DVD-R+/- via IDE connection. I have the 24 pin connector to the mobo, the 8 pin to the CPU-0, I tried it with the additional 6 pin as well. PLEASE HELP!!

Make sure to touch the case early and often while you are doing the following stuff. For good measure touch the screws holding a power outlet into the wall while you are at it.

Take everything back out of the case and put it all on a wooden table.

Take all except 1 RAM stick out of the computer.

Anything not necessary for posting should be disconnected.

The only things you want to leave in right now are the PSU connected twice to the motherboard, the processor and 1 RAM stick in the motherboard, and the graphics card.

You can turn the computer on by touching a flat screw driver against the two pins on the motherboard labeled PWR_BTN in the manual.

Try it and see what happens.

spants

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
@Raiddinn tried that and no results.
@abekl I plugged the 24-pin and 8-pin into my old mobo and nothing happened either. would I have needed to connect anything else, gpu, etc?

You don't have onboard video , yes you'll need to connect a gpu.
You can also make use of the onboard power button while testing things.

I would look up reviews once you get serious about a product, but I can tell you that 1000w+ load creates a lot of heat internal to a PSU.

At 80% efficiency, 1000w would be taking 1200w from the wall and the other 200w would be heat inside the PSU. That all has to be removed by the PSU fans.

Regardless what type fan is used in the PSU there will be a drawback, like so:

Ball bearings fan = High noise level, but longer lifetime
Sleeve fan = Low noise level, but shorter lifetime

Thus you pay for quiet with PSUs that die more quickly. You just have to choose which drawback is least bad in your opinion.

spants

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I think I am missing your point. Enermax is more efficient? puts out less heat? Is 1000W overkill? I really only need a PSU that has 2 8-pin connectors. What about the multi-rail thing, needed or not?

Enermax is just a better brand.

PSU brands matter very much. One brand isn't just as good as another one.

The worse brands tend to use fewer and lower quality parts than the better ones, which means they usually die faster, put your other parts in more danger, and they often have less protection against catastrophes than the better brands do.

I haven't investigated the PSU you chose and the closest Enermax alternative, but even so I would put money down on the Enermax being higher quality on the inside.

My guesstimate, you would probably get an extra year or two out of the Enermax before its time to get a new PSU.

That being said, the 1000w does sound extremely high. Usually it takes 2x high end video cards that are OCd or 3x+ non-OCd video cards to get into that range.

I haven't heard too much about the Quadro 4000, but I looked up a spec sheet that said it uses a maximum of 152w here

http://www3.pny.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-4000-P2903C365.aspx

this link says it needs 1x 6 pin here

http://www3.pny.com/support/media/Files/4bde3cc7-7f8a-4898-ad03-42fbcc1b4082/Quadro%204000%20Additional%20Power%20Requirements%207-19-10_v1_v1.pdf

which has a maximum safe draw of 75w from a 6 pin pcie connector + 75w from the motherboard slot which totals up to 150w or very nearly the 152w from above.

You can OC beyond that, but per the official power supply mechanical specifications it is not a good idea.

If the computer is only going to have ~150w of video card draw, I can't see the full system getting up to 1000w even with 2x Xeon processors at the same time if you ever get the second one.

Un-OCd the Xeon processors will use 80w of power each so call that another 160 for 300w total.

Outside those two things most systems don't reach another 100w of combined load, call it 150 to be safe.

That is about 450w.

For the sake of argument you might throw another graphics card in there or do some medium OCing so add maybe 300w for that and you can probably get by with a high quality 750w like this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207015

Again, I don't really claim to know how you intend to use the system, but that is just a rough estimate meant to be a little conservative.

If you intend to go for heavy OCing, to get another video card and another processor and do light OCing, or to add multiple more of these video cards even with no OCing then the 750w will probably not be a conservative estimate anymore.

As far as multi-rail goes, it is a pretty mixed bag. Single rail setups don't have as many configuration problems, but the tradeoff is that the protections kick in at higher wattages than multi-rail setups so your parts are in more danger from things like power surges.

Multi-rail setups are the opposite, they can be harder to configure when you are trying to balance the loads across multiple rails equally, but the protections kick in at lower wattages so it is more easily able to shut itself down to prevent a power surge getting through to the motherboard or video card, for instance.

If you have a Surge Protector you will be plugging everything into, that kinda takes up some of the slack in this regard and lets you more safely go with a single rail setup like XFX uses.

I would suggest everyone put their computer into a surge supressor regardless how many rails they have, though, and that doesn't mean there is no value in multi-rail.

TBH, I wouldn't worry too much about the number of rails. I would just focus on getting a solid brand with as many watts as you need and accept the number of rails that you end up with.

Going back to brands from before and how I said they do matter a lot. Here is a review of a 750w Thermaltake PSU

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/7

that succeeds delivering 60% of stated wattage, but fails at 80% of stated wattage and which provides the worst ripple charts that I have ever seen. Indeed, they are far outside the technical specifications on the most important rails (the 12vs).

Here is one from the XFX 750w that shows it can do 100% of stated wattage with beautiful ripple charts on the 12v

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/XFX-PRO-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/1182/7

and on the next page

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/XFX-PRO-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/1182/8

it says the tester was able to get up to 912w out of the XFX 750w.

The last pass within specifications on the Thermaltake was at 440w and the XFX last pass within specifications was at 912w, that's almost a 500w difference between the two PSUs that are rated at the same wattage.

- edit - BTW, the XFX 750w Black Edition PSU does say that it has 1x 8 pin EPS 12v and an additional 4 + 4 ATX/EPS 12v connector, so it should be able to power everything if my wattage estimates from above are somewhat realistic of how you intend to use the PC.

spants

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thanks Raiddiin, I'm half way to being a PSU expert. I'm for brand integrity as well which is why I bought a Corsair, however it arrived defective. I don't know if I will ever double-up on the GPU. I figure by the time I need an upgrade the faster ones will have come down in price. I do, however, plan on populating that other socket. Right know I have 24GB RAM on one processor. I will take a look at your suggestions and let you know what I decide.

Edit - The black seems to have limited availability. Has the XXX replaced it?

spants

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
What do you think of these? I'm trying to shop local so I don't have to wait. The XFX XXX is a possibility but is quite a distance away. I'm thinking of these two as well.
Seasonic USA X-Series SS760KMACTPFCF3
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750

Those should both be fine if you are trying to buy from brick and mortar stores and they are more available where you shop at.

I am going to guess you mean a Microcenter and that you want modular. Regardless, they should still be fine.

Between them, I would lean toward the Seasonic USA X-Series.

spants

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Okay. Went with the Corsair TX750M. everything fires up beautifully. Had to wait to get an adapter for my monitors. Nothing is posting however. I wonder if I need to upgrade the BIOS? The motherboard displays an error 2A. Can I flash the BIOS from USB or do I need to access the BIOS first to access this setting?

That is too bad.

As before, I think you can fix this easily with a BIOS update, but I don't think you are getting into the BIOS without seeing the screen.

Are you sure you can't borrow one from somewhere?

There are some on the market for about $30 I think, ultra low end, they should work if you have to go that route.

spants

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I have tried the card on several machines and believe I can make it official: the card is defective. I tried it on an older HP workstation and an older Dell Workstation. On the Dell the card seemed to operate the fan at top speed. In all situations a signal is received by the monitor since it displays the "no signal" indicator when it is disconnected or the computer is powered down.