Sign in with
Your question

Building a gaming PC for under $700

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2012 2:37:35 PM

I'm making a gaming PC mainly for playing SWTOR, I've picked out all the parts apart from motherboard and case. I was hoping to fit them into a micro/portable case.

My parts are:

AMD 960T Black Edition 3.0GHz Socket AM3 8MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Corsair 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Red Vengeance Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB Cache

TP-Link Wireless-N150 PCIe card

LiteOn iHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I have $80/£50 to spend on the motherboard and the same on the case.

If these can't be put into a micro/portable case then I'll just have to get a larger one.

Also if anybody sees anything that doesn't work please let me know as this is only my second personal build.

The websites I like to use for parts are ebuyer.com, weareelectricals.com and hardwareking.net (too good to be true, turns out it's a fake site, good thing I'm super cautious before buying, but the shopping cart asking for bank transfer would have quickly made me realise my mistake before making a purchase)

I'm from the UK.

Any help is most welcome and if anymore information is required please ask.

Thanks

More about : building gaming 700

January 11, 2012 6:56:42 PM

Thanks for the link, looks like my build was definitely going in the right direction. The problem was that I was hoping for a smaller case for portability as I would be taking it to friends houses.

I don't know whether all that power would overheat or even fit in a mini-itx or micro-atx case and motherboard.

Also I may upgrade to the AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition, 4x 3.70GHz as I have since found this for less than the 960T, but are the Intel processors really THAT much better for gaming as the Intel's Core i5-2400 is about $60 more?
!