HELP upgrading home network!!!!

bigfish12

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
hi everyone! i'm hoping to get some help on setting up/upgrading my home network.

currently, our office is located in the basement of our two story house. here is my current setup:

in the basement/office, i have a motorola SB6120 modem connected to cable internet.

the sb6120 is connected to a netgear fvs318v3 firewall switch.

the fvs318 is wired to two pc's, a vonage phone adapter, a network printer, and wired to two wall outlets on the second floor.

one of the wall outlets is connected to a xbox 360, and the second is connected to a netgear wgt624 wireless router (IEEE 802.11b/g) (where two laptops are connecting wirelessly)

the two laptops are currently "g" devices, but i was wanting to purchase wireless "n" adapters for each.

so, what i want to do is to upgrade to wireless "n" speeds.

i know that i'll need to get rid of the current wireless router, but how do i go about setting this all up?

should i buy a wireless "n" router or access point?

if i am still going to use the fvs318 switch connecting the new router/access point, will it affect the speed of the new router/access point?

or will i need to buy a new switch and router/access point?

let me know if you need any more information.

help please!

Solution
I would get a wireless N router and configure it as an access point. Typically these cost the same as an access point, but has the added benefit of being able to replace your FVS318 if it ever goes down. Get a router with a builtin gigabit switch, and your speeds will be the fastest they can.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I would get a wireless N router and configure it as an access point. Typically these cost the same as an access point, but has the added benefit of being able to replace your FVS318 if it ever goes down. Get a router with a builtin gigabit switch, and your speeds will be the fastest they can.

Solution