FE10 Lense on a Digital SLR???

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 11, 2005 2:17:43 AM

Hello all,

Today I found my dads Nikon FE-10 SLR camera. I was wondering whether
the Nikon D50 can use the lense? I live in India and was hopin to get
only the body of D50 from the US and save some serious cash on the
lense by using the FE10 lense, and maybe later buy a zoom lense, with
the money saved.

The FE10 lense is the standard lense that came with the camera.

Am i way off the mark here?

Thanks a lot,

Greesh

PS: I like the D50 coz its the cheapest and uses SD cards, so im hoping
it also takes MMC cards, and i have some 3-4 MMC cards lying around.

More about : fe10 lense digital slr

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:22:49 AM

greesh.k@gmail.com writes:
> Today I found my dads Nikon FE-10 SLR camera. I was wondering whether
> the Nikon D50 can use the lense?

You mean the 35-70 zoom. It will fit on the D50 but it will not AF
and the D50 will not have any metering functions at all. You will
have to use manual mode and set the shutter speed and aperture
manually. The camera will NOT give match-needle exposure metering or
anything like that. You can use the LCD and histogram after you take
the shot, to decide if you want to adjust the exposure and shoot
again. It might be a nice learning experience.

> I live in India and was hopin to get only the body of D50 from the
> US and save some serious cash on the lense by using the FE10 lense,
> and maybe later buy a zoom lense, with the money saved.

You won't save that much cash by not getting a lens with the D50,
compared with what the D50 costs in the first place. But compared
with the kit zoom, you might save a few dollars by getting the 50/1.8
AF lens instead of the zoom. The 50/1.8 is a better lens than the
zoom, except that it's fixed focal length, and maybe (on the D50
because of the 1.5x multiplier) a little bit longer than you'd
normally want for use as a do-everything lens.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:36:33 AM

Thanks a lot Paul, but I am total newbie at all this, can you explain a
bit in layman terms about the lenses bit, please?

I understand the shortcomings of the FE-10 lense, but if you could just
explain the second paragraph, There is no zoom on the standard d50
lense (50/1.8)?
May 11, 2005 2:39:02 AM

greesh.k@gmail.com writes:
> I understand the shortcomings of the FE-10 lense, but if you could just
> explain the second paragraph, There is no zoom on the standard d50
> lense (50/1.8)?

I thought the standard d50 lens is an 18-55 zoom. It's not very
expensive. The 50/1.8 non-zoom will be sharper and faster, but isn't
a zoom.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:54:43 AM

ah, thanks a lot paul and bnh

so basically, a non zoom lense will give better photos, and for a bit
of zoom i can always use the fe10 lense.

well the price of D50 on amazon is $749, body only,

the d70 is very very cheap, hmmm, makes you think.

im so confused ;-(
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 3:15:22 AM

Paul Rubin wrote:

> You won't save that much cash by not getting a lens with the D50,
> compared with what the D50 costs in the first place. But compared
> with the kit zoom, you might save a few dollars by getting the 50/1.8
> AF lens instead of the zoom. The 50/1.8 is a better lens than the
> zoom, except that it's fixed focal length, and maybe (on the D50
> because of the 1.5x multiplier) a little bit longer than you'd
> normally want for use as a do-everything lens.

To explain some more... adding to Paul R's suggestions... The kit lenses
are a good buy and especially appropriate for digital cameras because
you get pretty wide angle (good for shooting indoors where there isn't
room to back up and good for scenic landscapes. That's especiialy
important for the current digitals because they give a longer view (less
wide) than a film SLR with the same lens.

Your 35-70 will be less wide on a digital so the kit lens would be
useful. The kit lens will have auto-focus and auto-metering ability.

The 50mm f/1.8 is a great deal and will have better quality & better low
light ability due to the f/1.8 aperture (your lens probably only goes to
f/3.5). The lower f-stop/aperture number lets you shoot indoors or at
sunset without flash but it doesn't zoom so you have to walk closer or
further (not always possible). The 50mm f/1.8 will take sharper pictures
with better color and contrast: it is a better lens, and it's real
cheap. It will also be great for portraits or people's faces because the
f/1.8 gives blurry backgrounds that help emphasize the face and minimize
background distractions. Formal portrait photgraphers use this technique.

If you are really hard for cash, get the 50mm for great artistic results
and best quality but if you can possibly afford it, the kit lens will be
most useful for general use due to the extra wide angle ability. Your
old lens will not have auto-focus or metering so will be very old
fashioned for a fancy new camera (less capable than your film camera)
but combined with the 50mm it will be a good learning lens if you have
the interest and patience to learn photography. But eventually, you will
want a wider lens and you will have to pay more than if you got the kit
lens now.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

that made a lot of sense to me.

so, according to you, getting the standard lense that comes with d50
would be a good idea, and use the old lense, just for learning. and in
the future buying a 50mm f/1.8 lense, whenever i can save up enough
money?

or getting the d50 with the 50mm f/1.8 lense straight away would be a
better option?

all the posts say that the old lense is pretty much useless, so i
rather get the canon eos-300d coz it is avaliable right now, and its
cheap. no point going for a nikon if i am hardly able to use the old
lense. canon seems to make better dslr than nikon, atleast entry level.

any thoughts?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 3:37:56 AM

greesh.k@gmail.com writes:
> so, according to you, getting the standard lense that comes with d50
> would be a good idea, and use the old lense, just for learning. and in
> the future buying a 50mm f/1.8 lense, whenever i can save up enough
> money?

I'd say the FE10 lens isn't that useful and you should get an AF lens
with the D50 or D70. Whether it's the 18-55, 18-70, or 50/1.8 is a
matter of preference and available cash.

> all the posts say that the old lense is pretty much useless, so i
> rather get the canon eos-300d coz it is avaliable right now, and its
> cheap. no point going for a nikon if i am hardly able to use the old
> lense. canon seems to make better dslr than nikon, atleast entry level.

That's another possibility. Each brand has its partisans. I have a
lot of Nikon 35mm stuff but if I were starting over with digital from
scratch, I'd seriously consider switching to Canon.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 3:45:52 AM

great great. good people here.

thanks a lot, i really appreciate all your help.

any idea when the nikon d50 will be out?
or any cheaper slrs out there for a guy just starting?
or any advice in general?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 8:01:50 AM

so you would suggest getting the d70 with the standard kit lense which
comes with the camera?

i guess d70 will be pretty easy to find, even in india, since its been
around for long. d70 seems to the best bet, will go hunting for it this
weekend.

does the standard lense that comes with d70, has AF ( i am assuming
this means Auto Focus) and zoom?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:40:18 AM

How do you know D50 is the cheapest? is the price out yet ?

imho if you want to treat your DSLR as point n shoot, just grab the Nikon
D70 lens kit.
a damn good lens for the price ... in some case par with the 5x more
expensive AF-S 17-35 lens.

=bob=

<greesh.k@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Today I found my dads Nikon FE-10 SLR camera. I was wondering whether
> the Nikon D50 can use the lense? I live in India and was hopin to get
> only the body of D50 from the US and save some serious cash on the
> lense by using the FE10 lense, and maybe later buy a zoom lense, with
> the money saved.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:11:59 PM

greesh.k@gmail.com wrote:
> that made a lot of sense to me.
>
> so, according to you, getting the standard lense that comes with d50
> would be a good idea, and use the old lense, just for learning. and in
> the future buying a 50mm f/1.8 lense, whenever i can save up enough
> money?
>
> or getting the d50 with the 50mm f/1.8 lense straight away would be a
> better option?
>
> all the posts say that the old lense is pretty much useless, so i
> rather get the canon eos-300d coz it is avaliable right now, and its
> cheap. no point going for a nikon if i am hardly able to use the old
> lense. canon seems to make better dslr than nikon, atleast entry level.
>
> any thoughts?

The old lens is basically worthless unless you can't afford the kit lens
because it overlaps the kit lens in range. Just give the old camera to a
nephew or something. The 50mm is sort of a purist's specialty option but
super cheap. Most people would get the kit lens then save for a longer
zoom for telephoto.

I might also be looking at a Canon now because of the better low noise
performance. I got the D70 because it was a step up in other features
from a 300D and mostly I just liked the more solid feel. Canon has more
selection of cheap lenses but their fancy lenses get expensive quickly.
The Nikon kit lens is somewhat better than the Canon kit lens, that's
the main reason it costs a bit more. Not a huge difference though.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
san francisco native plants
May 12, 2005 2:50:15 AM

greesh.k@gmail.com wrote:
> ah, thanks a lot paul and bnh
>
> so basically, a non zoom lense will give better photos, and for a bit
> of zoom i can always use the fe10 lense.
>
> well the price of D50 on amazon is $749, body only,
>
> the d70 is very very cheap, hmmm, makes you think.
>
> im so confused ;-(

I disagree with the posters who suggest you keep the manual focus lens
for zoom, and get a 50mm "prime" lens. Prime lenses have their uses -
but some bias towards them is based on past experience - when zoom
lenses were significantly inferior to what you can buy today. If you
are taking photos in the real world, then a good zoom fitted on the
camera and ready to go will most likely give you more opportunities to
take great photos.

Using non AF lenses with no metering is a painful experience in my
opinion. It is possible, but you will need a sense of humour when it is
tomorrow by the time you have correctly set the camera to take the photo
you wanted yesterday. Maybe in a studio it is a workable concept.
Maybe you can sell the 35-70 zoom with the film camera body.

If you can get a D70 (probably not the new D70s) for less or the same as
a D50, then get it. It is larger, but has several features that you
would miss if you knew that you could have had them at no extra cost,
not the least of which is more buttons and dials for direct access to
camera settings - rather than using the camera menu.
May 12, 2005 5:02:52 AM

greesh.k@gmail.com wrote:

> so you would suggest getting the d70 with the standard kit lense which
> comes with the camera?
>
> i guess d70 will be pretty easy to find, even in india, since its been
> around for long. d70 seems to the best bet, will go hunting for it this
> weekend.
>
> does the standard lense that comes with d70, has AF ( i am assuming
> this means Auto Focus) and zoom?

Another poster suggested that you could also look at Canon 300D. A good
idea if there are any left at bargain prices (local dealers here have
them listed as not available/discontinued).

The last D70 were selling here (New Zealand) for about US $100 less than
the D70s is now. If there was still any "old stock" around, then maybe
the difference would be more. Probably still more expensive than a D50
or a 300D.

The 18-70 lens is AF-S. As well as being able to switch it to MF, you
can rotate the focus ring to override AF even with AF still switched on,
and the focus mechanism is very quiet. It is DX format (1:1.5 - for use
only on Nikon Digital Camera mount - not on a 35mm body), has three "ED"
glass elements, and is "IF" (internal focus - the lens does not get
longer as you focus closer, and the front element does not rotate -
which is a very important feature if you use a polarizing filter). The
focal length range is equivalent to about 28-105mm on a 35mm camera.

The new Nikkor 18-55 zoom is probably also okay and is less expensive.
I would not miss the 55-70mm focal lengths much. I would very much miss
the wide angle not available on other lower cost zooms. Your needs may
be different.

The kit lens with the Canon cameras receives very mixed reviews. Some
people claim that there is quality variation - that there are good ones
and bad ones. While that is possible, I really doubt that so called
sample variation is likely to that extent from Canon. It is a cheap
lens - you can buy it on it's own very cheaply. Nikon also makes cheap
lenses. However they don't happen to make a such a cheap one as a wide
angle zoom for their digital camera "kits". If they did, they would be
getting the same criticism as Canon are over their kit lens. It is a
marketing issue - not a brand quality issue.

All those cameras (D50/70/70s 300D/350D) can give you great results.
Of those cameras, the cheapest camera body (300D or D50?) with a good
lens will certainly give a far better image quality result than the most
expensive (350D) with a poor quality lens. You can pick up good quality
second hand zoom lenses cheaply - but unfortunately not ones that will
give you zoom wide angle shooting on any of the above cameras.

There are great DSLR cameras from other makers. However at the moment I
do not know of any that offer quality and features at a price that could
compete with Canon or Nikon. This will probably change in future.
!